Apt on CD

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
daka
Level 1
Level 1

Apt on CD

Post by daka »

I have two laptops. I was delighted to see the arrival of AptonCD! I created a cd loaded with the Aptitude-installed programs from one laptop. Then I did the "restore" downloading all of the programs to a folder called "/var/cache/apt/archives" I changed directory to this directory and did dpkg -i *.deb .... it seemed to work but I did get an error message at the end:

You might want to run `apt-get -f install' to correct these:
The following packages have unmet dependencies:
kwlan: Conflicts: dhcdbd but 2.0-2ubuntu3 is to be installed
Conflicts: network-manager but 0.6.4-6ubuntu7 is to be installed
E: Unmet dependencies. Try 'apt-get -f install' with no packages (or specify a solution).
daka@daka-HP:~$

When I created the cd there was an option to "auto select dependencies" Does anyone know whether this is a good option to select (I did tick it). Maybe it has something to do with the dependency problem?

1) any suggestions on how to solve the dependency conflicts outlined above?
2) is this the right way to "restore" a set of programs from one laptop to another?
3) Is it a good idea to "auto select dependencies" when creating the cd .... seems correct but I am no expert here?

Thanks
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Husse

Post by Husse »

I think this is because the two laptops did not have the same set of software installed from the "beginning". This could mean that the first laptop had dependencies satisfied by packages that were not considered dependencies by "auto select dependencies"
Hope this makes sence.....
daka
Level 1
Level 1

apt on CD

Post by daka »

I guess it does make sense if it is not intended for that purpose, i.e. if Apt on CD is only intended for re-installing on the original computer, and not for installing a "snapshot" of one's system on a another computer... Are you sure of this or should I maybe check it out with someone else?
Daka
Husse

Post by Husse »

I haven't tried it but it is basically to restore your computer
But try

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get -f install
with no packages. You will be able to use apt-get and as it is only two packages that fails try to fetch them with normal apt-get (Synaptic)

Return to “Other topics”