Disk Mount Permissions

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help

Disk Mount Permissions

Postby Straylit Me on Fri Oct 19, 2007 4:52 pm

Like others might, i have a dual-boot system (Vista/Celena) and another FAT32 partition for shared stuff such as music, videos, etc. Ive found that i do not have read/write functions while logged into my account because it because it belongs to root. So, not knowing how to change permissions through the terminal, i enabled root, logged in, and attempted to give the rights to my account. It didnt work. It said (even while logged in as root) that i didnt have the permissions and it was unable to change the owner of the mounted FAT32 partition.

So if someone could please guide me to making my partition writeable/readable from my account, i would very much appreciate it. Thank you.
Straylit Me
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Postby Husse on Sat Oct 20, 2007 9:17 am

In Celena you can let mintDisk mount ntfs and fat32
So if the offending disc is not mentioned at all in /etc/fstab it should be mounted read/write by mintDisk
You reach it from the menu - check that you have not turned it off
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Postby Lolo Uila on Tue Oct 23, 2007 4:30 pm

And note that when Husse says "the offending disc is not mentioned at all in /etc/fstab" it is meant very litterally. You can not even have a commented line referencing the drive. You must completely remove any reference to your FAT32 partition from fstab, and then mintDisk should mount it as read-write.
Lolo Uila
Level 5
Level 5

Return to Other topics