Emerald Themes

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help

Emerald Themes

Postby vinoman on Sun Oct 21, 2007 7:54 am

Do the Emerald themes need a 3D video card?

I'm running Celena on a Celeron 2.6ghz w/ 1256 RAM and a Nvidia Geforce2 MX 100/200 card.

Will that handle importing the Emerald themes?
vinoman
Level 5
Level 5

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Postby BlahBlah_X on Sun Oct 21, 2007 10:05 am

Um I think you are a bit confused.

A Desktop Environment contains many parts, including a file manager, a window manager (manages windows :0), login manager, Desktop Manager, etc...

GNOME is an example of a Desktop Environment. It uses the Nautilus File Manager, the Metacity Window Manager, the GDM login manager, and other parts. GNOME is the default in Celena.

Beryl is another Desktop Environment. It can use any file manager or login manager, but it uses the Emerald Window Manager and the Beryl Desktop Manager. Beryl needs a 3D capable card with 3D capable drivers, and comes as an extra in Celena.

Emerald themes, are well, themes for the Emerald 3D window manager. They are not addons to GNOME or anything like that.

And to answer your question, your machine should run Beryl great, but you may need to install some drivers first. First, try beryl. If it doesn't work well, then: go to MintMenu-Administration-Envy and when the window pops up, choose your type of card and install the drivers.
BlahBlah_X
Level 4
Level 4

Postby vinoman on Sun Oct 21, 2007 11:34 am

Thanks for the explanation. I'll look into.
vinoman
Level 5
Level 5

Postby Ede on Sun Oct 21, 2007 3:46 pm

BlahBlah_X: You're mistaken here. Severly. :3

Beryl/Compiz Fusion is NOT a Desktop Enviroment. Beryl/Compiz is a composite Manager. It replaces metacity in gnome, and whateverisused in KDE. Yes, it's window-manager is Emerald, and it can use metacity too, but it's not a DE.

=)
Ede
Level 4
Level 4

Return to Other topics