Getting Wine to work

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help

Getting Wine to work

Postby vinoman on Sun Oct 21, 2007 11:37 am

I installed Wine and have added the FireworksMX.exe file to its config window. But how do I get it to install and run?

Wine seems rather confusing for something that's so popular.
vinoman
Level 5
Level 5

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Postby BlahBlah_X on Sun Oct 21, 2007 3:10 pm

well you can either right click on the file and choose open with wine or you can type into a terminal "sudo wine filename"
BlahBlah_X
Level 4
Level 4

Postby vinoman on Sun Oct 21, 2007 4:30 pm

Thanks that worked as far as getting it installed, but when it opens its not all there. It starts to flip out if you know what I mean. It's unstable and I'm not sure if it's going to work like a normal Fireworks install. I tried to install Dreamweaver and it really wigged out! So I don't know how to get it to work. Maybe Wine is still an unstable program.

If Gimp was more organized I would use it more often, but they don't have a batch process for resizing multiple images and that should be easy to do!

Thanks again :)
vinoman
Level 5
Level 5

Postby BlahBlah_X on Sun Oct 21, 2007 6:13 pm

Okay try installing wine-doors. http://www.wine-doors.org

This tool provides an easy, graphical, Add/Remove style way to install Windows software through wine. You can install Fireworks and Dreamweaver.

WARNING: I've had some trouble removing packages installed with wine-doors. If this happens, just go to MintMenu-Wine-Wine Software Uninstaller (or something like that)
BlahBlah_X
Level 4
Level 4

Postby vinoman on Mon Oct 22, 2007 3:47 pm

Thanks for the wine doors. I installed it and ran Fireworks, but its still shaky. and Dreamweaver froze during install. It's a nice idea to use some windows programs in Linux, but I'm safer using native Linux programs. Mint runs so well without wine programs. Maybe one day they will work better. For now I'll put up with Gimp and Kompozer and Bluefish. The more I use them the more I like them. :)
vinoman
Level 5
Level 5

Return to Other topics