Mint won't quite shut down for me...

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help

Mint won't quite shut down for me...

Postby Totally Infected on Tue Jan 09, 2007 10:04 pm

Hi,

Upon clicking the shutdown button Mint heads off to that static 'boot' screen and then just chills - forever. after a while (I think my max wait has been 20 minutes) I just power the comtuter down manually with the 4-second power button press.

on another note - hibernate and suspend seem to do okay.

Any help would be great... please let me know if there's some particular system info I need to post to get a better response.

Thanks
Totally Infected
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Postby Rahood on Sun Jan 14, 2007 10:50 am

Greetings from Dublin.

The 2.6.xx kernel disables ACPI for mobo's manufactured around Y2K and all P3 boards.(across all distro's unless the workaround has been added to lilo and grub)
As with any question it helps If you would give a little info about your system but I'll have a Bash anyways ...RUN the following command and post the output.
Code: Select all
dmesg | grep 2000

The solution for a grub user is to add acpi=force to the end of the line starting with kernel in the /boot/grub/menue.lst. Reboot and run the above command again and it should be sorted.

Disclaimer: I am not a Mint user yet, I'm a slacker who thinks wi-fi is the devils work, you cant have all that **** floating round the airwaves infecting the children of Ireland with radiation; it will fry their little minds ;-) that and I like the colour that a bunch of zipped cables adds to my installs.:D. I just stopped by to have a look at whats new As I have been hearing good things about this project.
And also if I am totally wrong with the above solution Mods please feel free to remove and or edit my answer. I tend to type too much so I should stop here.
-Rahood-
Rahood
Level 1
Level 1

Postby historyb on Wed Jan 17, 2007 1:18 am

I got this from Ubuntu forums and it works:

Do this:

sudo gedit /etc/modules

then put this line in:

apm power_off=1

save the file and reboot and it will work great.
historyb
Level 2
Level 2

Postby gramnemo on Wed Jan 17, 2007 1:23 am

[quote="Rahood"]Greetings from Dublin.

all that **** floating round the airwaves infecting the children of Ireland with radiation; it will fry their little minds :lol: :lol:
gramnemo
Level 2
Level 2

Return to Other topics