Will Linux Mint Work on an Intel Based Mac?

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Post by clem »

Hi,

Linux Mint changes a lot of things on the software, configuration and desktop side of things.. but it tends not to tweak hardware recognition. The reason for it being that it's not its purpose, and that this kind of job is better done by Ubuntu, with a huge community of testers, developers and available hardware.

At present Linux Mint's hardware recognition is more or less the same as Ubuntu Edgy's plus support for a few WIFI cards (added by mintWifi).

Clem
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
curtvaughan
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Will Linux Mint Work on an Intel Based Mac?

Post by curtvaughan »

I installed LinuxMint Cinnamon 17 on my old MBP (2006) a few months ago. After the install I had to install a fan control software package called "macfanctld" to get the cooling fans to rotate at needed RPM. This was one of the first Intel based Macs. It is working just fine. If I had to do it again I would have left a small OSX partition on the hard drive for use in firmware updates and the like. Unfortunately, my old MBP is no longer supported by Apple - which is why I put Linux on it in the first place. I think Clem Lefebvre, the previous poster, has a tutorial on installing Linux on a MBP which should work well on machines built within the last 3 or 4 years. Mine was so old I had to find instructions on the web elsewhere.
Move from rim to hub: know the wheel.

curtvaughan
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Will Linux Mint Work on an Intel Based Mac?

Post by curtvaughan »

Oops. Please belay my last reply. I just saw the date of the original post ... sheesh, 2007. My MBP was still NEW back then. Duh. Sorry again!! :roll:
Move from rim to hub: know the wheel.

Return to “Other topics”