Realtime or low latency kernel

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Roel
Level 1
Level 1

Realtime or low latency kernel

Post by Roel »

I've just broken my linuxmint system trying to get a realtime kernel going, good thing the old kernel is still in the grub menu :)

What is the best way of getting a realtime or low latency kernel to work? I'm using my laptop for audio/video editing and games (and other stuff that does not benefit from lower latencies).

I'm experienced enough to recompile a kernel (thanks to Gentoo: "let's get wireless working!" -> recompile kernel, "lets get bleutooth working!" -> recompile kernel etc...) so I don't really need babysteps but I could use some instructions specific for linuxmint.

As an example, when I play Day of Defeat: source in a standard Ubuntu (Feisty) install, I get around 12-15 fps. If I run it on the low latency UbuntuStudio I get 25-30 fps and if I run it as root with nice -20 it smooths out everything (mouse is less jerky and the game reacts faster) and fps is stable around 35.

Of course anything to do with multitrack music recording/editing is allmost impossible without a low latency kernel.

I allready backed up everything so I would probably go for a fresh install of linuxmint once I know how to get a realtime kernel working properly.

Thanks
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Husse

Post by Husse »

Well, neither I nor Clem "plays" with kernels (and I think it goes for most or all of the team) - the standard kernels today are generally good. The problems we've had has to do with hardware support
Sorry - can't really give you an answer
900i
Level 6
Level 6

Post by 900i »

Ubuntu Studio uses a low latency kernel as default, my son uses this distro on his studio setup.
Desktop Core i7 Linux Mint 21.1 / Laptop Dell Precision M6400 Linux Mint 21.1
Roel
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Roel »

900i wrote:Ubuntu Studio uses a low latency kernel as default, my son uses this distro on his studio setup.
Yes, I know, I had UbuntuStudio for a few weeks just because my games ran better. UbuntuStudio is also very slow to boot and loaded with programs that don't really work the way they should (mostly video editing stuff)

If I compile a kernel in Ubuntu I have to turn off the updates because things will break. I would like a kernel like UbuntuStudio but I want it on Linux Mint :)
Husse

Post by Husse »

I have to turn off the updates because things will break
Bingo! From Celena we don't use the Ubuntu update manager, but our own. There updates to the kernel is disabled by default
So you (probably) could compile to your liking and not have it destroyed.....
If things break you have to fix that on your own, but I think you'll have no big problems with that :lol:
Roel
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Roel »

Husse wrote: From Celena we don't use the Ubuntu update manager, but our own. There updates to the kernel is disabled by default
So you (probably) could compile to your liking and not have it destroyed.....:
Yeah, I know, that's one of the reasons I use Mint, no more hoping my pc will still boot after an update. Fixing things I broke myself is easy, I make backups of every file I ever change.

I'm gonna give this tutorial a go, it's for Gentoo but I'm sure it won't be any more difficult on other distros.

I won't have much time the next few days but if I've done it I'll post here to let you know how it went.
Roel
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Roel »

Thanks for the tips, but I already knew most of that, I've been using linux for audio stuff for years now ;) I already have a DAW (Fostex VF 160) and it can burn to cd, great for loading wav files in ardour. I have a drumcomputer, synths, guitars, and lots of gear. I like recording bands more than looping things and virtual synths on a pc.

Still no luck on my new kernel, I'm just to busy now to do it properly.

I'm going back to Ubuntu Studio, it now ships with a real time kernel and has the things I need pre installed (except for the games). Even Kino does not work very well in Mint and Cinelerra is not in de repositories, I can compile it myself but then I'll just run into the next little thing.

I like playing around with computers but now I want to get some work done in stead of trying to fix things.

I like Mint, I still recommend it to anybody who wants a fully featured desktop for everyday use and it looks way better than any other distro I've seen but there distros with musicians/video directors in mind and I've had good experiences with those. Especially Ubuntu Studio (except for the long time it takes to boot)
Husse

Post by Husse »

I've only heard well about Ubuntu studio
We can't stretch Mint to serve everyone :)
Welcome back

Return to “Other topics”