General Help

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

General Help

Postby mort1369 on Mon Nov 12, 2007 9:52 pm

What is wrong with Celena? I get sound maybe one in every five or ten tries, then the O.S. decides to force a check, declares my X server bad, then I have to reboot again, again with the sound issue, or the screen resolution decides to change for no reason at all to 800x600 or worse 600x480 with no other options. I have already had to reinstall once in the six weeks I've been using this "system", I must also state that this has NEVER happened with Win XP, SuSE 9.2-10.0, Fedora Core, or Ubuntu, so this HAS to be a problem inherent in Celena. For the record, my video card is an nVidia G force MX400, my audio card a Soundblaster Live 5.1, and again, I've had no problems like this in any other system I've used!
mort1369
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Postby Lolo Uila on Mon Nov 12, 2007 10:58 pm

Verify the md5 checksums of your install CD.

Open a terminal to the path of your install CD and enter:

Code: Select all
md5sum --check md5sum.txt

You should get 1 failure on the md5sum.txt file itself. If there are any other failed sums or file read (input/output) errors then your install disc is bad.

If your install disc is bad then verify the md5sum of the iso you burned it from. If that's bad download it again. When you have a verified iso file try burning again at a lower speed.

If Ubuntu works you should not be having this kind of trouble with Celena. My guess is you have a bad install CD.

Aloha, TIm
Lolo Uila
Level 5
Level 5

General Help

Postby mort1369 on Tue Nov 13, 2007 3:49 am

Tried checking the md5sum, md5sum.txt was the only one that was bad, it figures. As for the install CD history, I downloaded the ISO from Ubuntu (ironically), then wiped it out when I installed Mint 3.1 on this drive (I have Win XP,
SuSE 10,0 and Mint 3.1 on separate drives). I also tend to burn at around 4X with no problems. If the CD were bad (apparently it isn't), then the mirror site where I got this would have the same problems, you'd be hearing a lot more screaming by now. This has to be the ABSOLUTE WORST experience I've had with Linux, it has just about made me a die-hard Windows fanatic!
mort1369
Level 1
Level 1

Postby nick on Tue Nov 13, 2007 4:57 am

Hi

Seems to be Mortmort1369 who is
suffering from video lock up problems other places and
with applications on the internet.

Perhaps it the system?

Nick
nick
Level 5
Level 5

Postby Lolo Uila on Tue Nov 13, 2007 7:32 am

Sorry it isn't working for you. For most people Mint works better than Ubuntu (or at least the same), but it is the nature of open architecture hardware that everyone's system is different. I can't imagine why Ubuntu would work fine and Celena would give you so much trouble? However, if that is the case then perhaps Ubuntu is the better choice for you.

Personally I am running Celena and it is working great for me. I have a triple-boot setup with Celena, Windows XP Pro and a test partition which currently contains Daryna beta (Celena & XP Pro are running on a RAID-0 volume). I also have another system with Cassandra that I am very happy with. I have tested a lot of other distros, and Mint is my distro of choice.

Aloha, Tim
Lolo Uila
Level 5
Level 5

General Help

Postby mort1369 on Tue Nov 13, 2007 10:08 pm

Note to nick:
I am typing this on my Win XP drive right now, have been surfing with
ABSOLUTELY NO PROBLEMS!! I have perfect audio and video, have hit a couple of sites Celena couldn't download correctly (really obscure ones, like the Toyota and Mitsubishi sites). Again, THE FAULT DOES NOT LAY WITH MY SYSTEM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The only I could be convinced is if an exact replica of my computer were built and it displayed the same tendencies (I seriously doubt it would though). Maybe I caught a glitch when I downloaded it from the mirror site (I forgot which), I shouldn't have to install it a third time, I never had a
problem with that even with Win 2K!
mort1369
Level 1
Level 1

Postby kenetics on Tue Nov 13, 2007 10:33 pm

I guess Mint is not for you. Maybe try Daryna. :wink:
Celena works great for me.
kenetics
Level 5
Level 5

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Other topics