Ubuntu Gutsy or Linux Mint 4.0?

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help

Ubuntu Gutsy or Linux Mint 4.0?

Postby jdhore on Thu Nov 15, 2007 11:04 pm

Hi All,

I've got a quick question...I'm a reasonably experienced linux user (I've used Arch, Debian, Gentoo and i know how to compile from source)...I'm planning on moving over to Ubuntu later today or tomorrow...Would you guys recommend i go Linux Mint or straight Ubuntu?

I know all my hardware works in Gutsy (tested on the LiveCD)...and i'm reasonably familiar with the way things work in deb-based distros. So my 3 questions are this:

1. Will everything that runs on Gutsy run fine on Mint 4.0 as well (Will i still be able to compile almost anything from source if need be and will .deb files for Gutsy work fine)?
2. Should i go Mint 4.0 or straight Ubuntu Gutsy?
3. What advantages does Mint give me over straight Ubuntu?
jdhore
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Ubuntu Gutsy or Linux Mint 4.0?

Postby andyvr4 on Fri Nov 16, 2007 1:05 am

jdhore wrote:1. Will everything that runs on Gutsy run fine on Mint 4.0 as well (Will i still be able to compile almost anything from source if need be and will .deb files for Gutsy work fine)?

Everything that works for ubuntu should work for mint as well since underneath mint is 95% ubuntu.
jdhore wrote:3. What advantages does Mint give me over straight Ubuntu?

The main advantage that you get with mint is that it includes many of the proprietary codecs that ubuntu does not. Out of the box mint will have working flash, java, mp3, wmv, and many other formats support that you'll half to setup separately in ubuntu.
andyvr4
Level 2
Level 2

Postby cmost on Sat Nov 17, 2007 8:14 pm

...and, Linux Mint looks a helluva lot better than Ubuntu!!
cmost
Level 4
Level 4

Postby jdhore on Sat Nov 17, 2007 8:32 pm

UPDATE:

In case anyone cared, i decided upon Linux Mint Darnya...It seemed to be Gutsy-like enough for me, it looks beautiful (very elegant, but also very good) and It has so much stuff installed by default...I only needed to install 1 or 2 things and the system is ready to use.

Overall, I couldn't see how i could possibly be happier with Mint.
jdhore
Level 1
Level 1

Postby GrayWizardLinux on Sat Nov 17, 2007 8:44 pm

Great! And Welcome aboard!!!
GrayWizardLinux
Level 6
Level 6

Postby blu3ness on Sun Nov 18, 2007 8:49 pm

exactly the same reasons, mate.

I just can't brace myself for the brownish looking interface. The first thing I do when I install my Ubuntu is completely rip it apart and put together that's more pleasant for my eyes anyway :P
blu3ness
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Other topics