LiveCD boot question/issue

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

LiveCD boot question/issue

Postby airjoe on Fri Nov 16, 2007 1:02 pm

Hello,

First let me say thanks for all your work. I am new to Mint/Linux in general.

I DL'd this Final release and tried to boot from liveCD. I get an error, "linux" kernel not found and I am left at the boot: prompt.

I have DL'd all the 4.0 beta (prior to this release) and had no issue with the booting from liveCD.

I read the release notes (as stressed), and found a section about DELL recovery partitions/boot issue/etc. I have a DELL laptop with the recovery partition.

Basically, I don't understand what the "workaround" is telling me.

Can anyone clarify what I need to do do to boot this release from the live CD on a DELL with a recovery partition?

Thanks in advance....if this is in the wrong forum please move it to the correct one
airjoe
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Postby Husse on Sat Nov 17, 2007 8:24 am

General help would be the right forum. General announcements are for the Mint team and for the community to post bug reports
I understand that you don't understand the workaround for Dell Recovery partitions. This is unfortunately a bit geeky, but there is nothing we can do about it....
Now as I understand it your problem is already when you try to boot the live CD.
This probably means a bad CD
Check the md5sum
Burn again at low speed
What the release notes tell you is to do the three commands in a terminal when the live cd is running - you need an internet connection too. It replaces the Mint installer with the Ubuntu installer
You could restore sources.list from the one in the release notes instead of the CD - think that's simpler
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Return to Other topics