Making an ISO of Daryna

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
jhouse59
Level 3
Level 3

Making an ISO of Daryna

Post by jhouse59 »

I'm using ISO Master. I want to make an iso of Mint 4.0 (Daryna) that a friend burned to cd for me.When I copy the files from the disk to the iso file. It want boot. Which file do choose in the "BootRecord" to get the iso to boot?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
nick
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Making an ISO of Daryna

Post by nick »

Hi

Have a look here, you should be making an ISO
not copying files,look here
http://www.linuxmint.com/wiki/index.php ... on_Windows

If you are copying a correctly made ISO just
use "copy cd" I do not know your program as I do not
use windows

Did your friend burn it as an ISO??

Nick
cmost
Level 4
Level 4

Post by cmost »

You guys are making this too difficult. Unlike Windows, Linux requires no special software or machinations to produce an ISO from any disk (CD-ROMs, DVD-ROMs or floppy disks.) All you have to do is the following:

1. Pop the CD into your optical drive (assume it's mounted at /dev/cdrom; use your exact mount-point wherever I refer to /dev/cdrom.)
2. Open a Terminal
3. Type exactly: dd if=/dev/cdrom of=/path/to/outputfile.iso (Example: dd if=/dev/cdrom of=/home/username/Downloads/Linux-Mint-4.0.iso)
4. Press return and check your e-mail for a couple of minutes.

Viola! New Linux-Mint-4.0.iso located at /home/username/Downloads.

You'll get a lot of use out of this command.

If you insist on creating your ISO in Windows, then I recommend a nifty little tool called "LC ISO Creator" It's freeware. (Download here: http://www.lucersoft.com/freeware.php) You can mount ISO files in Windows with another freebie, "Daemon Tools" (note: use version 3.47.)
jhouse59
Level 3
Level 3

Post by jhouse59 »

Kynan wrote:I've never heard of that program but couldn't you just copy the cd?
ISO Master can be found at the Software Portal.
I just want to learn how to make a bootable cd. Also, to be able to feed the torrents to help Mint grow.
nick wrote:Hi

Have a look here, you should be making an ISO
not copying files,look here
http://www.linuxmint.com/wiki/index.php ... on_Windows

If you are copying a correctly made ISO just
use "copy cd" I do not know your program as I do not
use windows

Did your friend burn it as an ISO??

Nick
I don't use Windows that much now since installing MInt. Started with Cassandra. Now have Celena right now. Wiped WinXP off my laptop and installed Daryna.
Yes my friend burned it from an ISO.
cmost wrote:You guys are making this too difficult. Unlike Windows, Linux requires no special software or machinations to produce an ISO from any disk (CD-ROMs, DVD-ROMs or floppy disks.) All you have to do is the following:

1. Pop the CD into your optical drive (assume it's mounted at /dev/cdrom; use your exact mount-point wherever I refer to /dev/cdrom.)
2. Open a Terminal
3. Type exactly: dd if=/dev/cdrom of=/path/to/outputfile.iso (Example: dd if=/dev/cdrom of=/home/username/Downloads/Linux-Mint-4.0.iso)
4. Press return and check your e-mail for a couple of minutes.

Viola! New Linux-Mint-4.0.iso located at /home/username/Downloads.

You'll get a lot of use out of this command.

If you insist on creating your ISO in Windows, then I recommend a nifty little tool called "LC ISO Creator" It's freeware. (Download here: http://www.lucersoft.com/freeware.php) You can mount ISO files in Windows with another freebie, "Daemon Tools" (note: use version 3.47.)
Thanks cmost.

I used this command: dd if=/media/cdrom0 of=/home/jhouse59/Linux-Mint-4.0.iso. This is what showed up in the Terminal:
  • dd: reading `/media/cdrom1': Is a directory
    0+0 records in
    0+0 records out
    0 bytes (0 B) copied, 0.000438832 seconds, 0.0 kB/s
If I use dev instead of media I get :
  • dd: opening `/dev/cdrom0': No such file or directory
Still didn't make the ISO file.
900i
Level 6
Level 6

Post by 900i »

open nautilus and navigate to the .iso file, note the .iso extension. Right click and select open with "CD/DVD Creator" then click the "write" box.
Desktop Core i7 Linux Mint 21.1 / Laptop Dell Precision M6400 Linux Mint 21.1
jhouse59
Level 3
Level 3

Post by jhouse59 »

900i wrote:open nautilus and navigate to the .iso file, note the .iso extension. Right click and select open with "CD/DVD Creator" then click the "write" box.
Thanks 900i. But, I'm not trying to copy an ISO file to a cd.I'm trying to make an ISO file of a cd.
900i
Level 6
Level 6

Post by 900i »

Oh, sorry!

First copy all the files from the cd to the CD/DVD Creator then click "Write" but write to "file" instead of "disk" and that makes an ".iso" file in your home directory.
Desktop Core i7 Linux Mint 21.1 / Laptop Dell Precision M6400 Linux Mint 21.1
cmost
Level 4
Level 4

Post by cmost »

Your dd command failed because you indicated the source as the mount point of the CD-ROM, not the actual device. You typed: dd if=/media/cdrom0 of=/home/jhouse59/Linux-Mint-4.0.iso, and subsequently got the error "`/media/cdrom1': Is a directory", which should have been your clue. The location "/media/cdrom0" is only the folder where your CD-ROM is mounted when you insert a disk, it does nothing else. You need to specify the device. In Linux (and other UNIX OS's,) these live in "/dev". If you have only one optical drive, then you should be able to use /dev/cdrom (or a variation that's valid for your device - more than one will likely work: /dev/cdrw; /dev/dvd; /dev/dvdrw... you get the idea.) Try your command again. This is the simplest way to make an ISO file.
jhouse59
Level 3
Level 3

Post by jhouse59 »

cmost wrote:Your dd command failed because you indicated the source as the mount point of the CD-ROM, not the actual device. You typed: dd if=/media/cdrom0 of=/home/jhouse59/Linux-Mint-4.0.iso, and subsequently got the error "`/media/cdrom1': Is a directory", which should have been your clue. The location "/media/cdrom0" is only the folder where your CD-ROM is mounted when you insert a disk, it does nothing else. You need to specify the device. In Linux (and other UNIX OS's,) these live in "/dev". If you have only one optical drive, then you should be able to use /dev/cdrom (or a variation that's valid for your device - more than one will likely work: /dev/cdrw; /dev/dvd; /dev/dvdrw... you get the idea.) Try your command again. This is the simplest way to make an ISO file.
I have two optical drives. A DVD and DVDRW. I've got the disk in my DVD drive. When it mounts a window opens. That says "/media/cdrom0" in the address bar. When I use "/dev/cdrom0 or /dev/dvd0" in the command line. I get "dd: opening `/dev/cdrom0': No such file or directory". When I use "/dev/cdrom or /dev/dvd". I get "dd: opening `/dev/cdrom': No medium found or dd: opening `/dev/dvd': No medium found".
deadguy
Level 5
Level 5

Post by deadguy »

you can also use k3b to make an iso image from a bootable cd.
just use the copy cd option, check "only create image" ,choose your output path,
then choose start.
instead of burning a cd it will create an iso image.
jhouse59
Level 3
Level 3

Post by jhouse59 »

deadguy wrote:you can also use k3b to make an iso image from a bootable cd.
just use the copy cd option, check "only create image" ,choose your output path,
then choose start.
instead of burning a cd it will create an iso image.
Thanks deadguy. That done it for me.
jhouse59
Level 3
Level 3

Post by jhouse59 »

mint-fresh wrote:In Linux Mint I think you just put the CD in, then it auto-mounts and puts a shortcut onto the desktop. Right click on the shortcut and choose Copy Disk. Then choose copy to file (I am not sure if this is the exact wording as I am thinking of this off the top of my head) and choose where to put the file. It should work, because it worked for me (After I burned it I deleted the downloaded ISO. Then, when I wanted to make another copy and didn't want to re-download it, I just did this and it worked). After it makes an image on your hard drive, put in an empty CD and burn it from there.
Thanks mint-fresh. That also worked for me.
jhouse59
Level 3
Level 3

Post by jhouse59 »

mint-fresh wrote:
jhouse59 wrote: Thanks mint-fresh. That also worked for me.
You are always welcome, although I am a Linux newbie myself (only been using Linux for a month), so I will most likely asking you for help than you will be asking me. :D
Welcome to Mint. Hope I can help. I'm new to Linux (August 2007), also. This forum has been great for me.

Return to “Other topics”