Sleep/Suspend, Hibernate don't work. ACPI is the culprit?

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Sleep/Suspend, Hibernate don't work. ACPI is the culprit?

Postby YouCan'tRunFar on Thu Nov 22, 2007 9:48 pm

Hi, I tried to install Darnya, but I ran into a problem, so I followed the release notes and did this:
On some hardware with ATI/nVidia cards: If the liveCD boots all the way to Gnome but hangs and just shows the mouse pointer and eventually the wallpaper, restart the liveCD, press F6 and change the options "quiet splash --" with "nosplash noapic noacpi --".

My new Darnya install has two problems.

1. There is no compiz fusion installed, despite this:
5. Compiz Fusion

Credits go to Xorg, Compiz Fusion and Ubuntu for bringing us the best 3D effects available and activated out of the box in Daryna.

But this isn't as big a problem (I have ATI) as this:

2. Sleep, Hibernate don't work.
I have a notebook, so that's pretty upsetting.
More specifically, it looks like I can get into suspend or hibernate mode, but not "wake up" from it.

Is this related to me disabling acpi before? is there a way I can use Darnya and have hibernation?

I'm using a custom notebook with
ATI Radeon 1600x
Intel Dual Core 1.89 GHz

Thanks in advance!
YouCan'tRunFar

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Sleep/Suspend, Hibernate don't work. ACPI is the culprit?

Postby Husse on Fri Nov 23, 2007 4:53 pm

To activate Compiz
Control Center > Appearance > the Visual Effects tab
If it was turned on from start you could end up with Compiz and a non 3D driver > "disaster"
There are issues with dual core, but I think ATI is the villain here. But yes acpi is also a likely candidate - can you disable it and see what happens?
You will always (?) be able to boot into Recovery mode and edit menu.lst so you can boot again.
Unfortunately this is a tough problem for me without access to a laptop (that I can use)
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Return to Other topics