Question about Synaptics Touchpad and xorg.conf

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Postby Sylvius on Tue Jan 16, 2007 5:34 pm

I have Bea loaded with everything working fine except that the touchpad needs to have the "Touch to Click" feather disconnected (set to zero).

I emailed the distributor for the Linux ready type of computer I'm using and received word that I needed to edit the xorg.conf file and set MaxTapTime to zero.

I used "whereis xorg.conf" to locate xorg.cong and received that it was located in /usr/lib/xorg, but I cannot find it there.

What have I missed doing?
Sylvius
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Postby trsnrtr on Tue Jan 16, 2007 10:19 pm

Try looking in /etc/X11/ and see if it's in there.

Dennis
trsnrtr
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Sylvius on Wed Jan 17, 2007 2:57 pm

Thanks Dennis (trsnrtr),

I wonder why "whereis" pointed elsewhere, but that 's not my main problem now.

I took a look at xorg.conf and made an exact copy and put it in a safe place, then I read the original and read the manual it referred to, and now I'm debating whether or not I should try to enter the appropriate entry that would eliminate the tap -to-click function --which is missing from the xorg.conf under Synaptics.

Is it safe to enter "MaxTapTime" and set it to "0", or will Mint have a hissy fit and never work again? I couldn't bear it not working as great as it does now.

Will
Sylvius
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Question about Synaptics Touchpad and xorg.conf

Postby trsnrtr on Wed Jan 17, 2007 7:11 pm

I don't know why whereis points there, but it's usually in /etc/X11. As far as your touchpad goes, I'm not competent to give advice on what to do with it. I'm running Bea on both a desktop and a Sony Vaio but I rarely use the touchpad. I did notice that it is very sluggish. Maybe I'll play around with it myself.

OK, edited to add that I tried it and it turns off your ability to emulate mouse buttons by tapping. It doesn't appear to screw up anything else. On my machine, the "tap" function quits but I can still use the touchpad buttons.

Dennis

Sylvius wrote:Thanks Dennis (trsnrtr),

I wonder why "whereis" pointed elsewhere, but that 's not my main problem now.

I took a look at xorg.conf and made an exact copy and put it in a safe place, then I read the original and read the manual it referred to, and now I'm debating whether or not I should try to enter the appropriate entry that would eliminate the tap -to-click function --which is missing from the xorg.conf under Synaptics.

Is it safe to enter "MaxTapTime" and set it to "0", or will Mint have a hissy fit and never work again? I couldn't bear it not working as great as it does now.

Will
trsnrtr
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Other topics