some kinda movie glitch

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
enchance
Level 3
Level 3

some kinda movie glitch

Post by enchance »

While watching a movie in fullscreen, the screen suddenly goes black after 15mins or so. All goes back after I move the mouse like it was some screensaver, although it can't be it since I'm using the flurry screensaver. Could this be a glitch? I've tried Totem and VLC but it's still there. Could it be my ATI card? I have no problems with CF so it couldn't be that as well...right?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Lolo Uila
Level 5
Level 5

Re: some kinda movie glitch

Post by Lolo Uila »

It's a problem with the way screens are handled. As I understand it, the power management settings in Linux affect the default screen, but Compiz & Beryl enable a new screen which has a blanking timeout. I haven't found a way to get the power management settings to work with the Beryl/Compiz screen manager, but you can disable the screen blanking completely by adding the following to the end of xorg.conf (if you already have a "ServerFlags" section, then just add the options).

Code: Select all

Section "ServerFlags"
	Option	"BlankTime"	"0"
	Option	"StandbyTime"	"0"
	Option	"SuspendTime"	"0"
	Option	"OffTime"	"0"
EndSection
Aloha, Tim
enchance
Level 3
Level 3

Post by enchance »

Lolo Uila wrote:It's a problem with the way screens are handled. As I understand it, the power management settings in Linux affect the default screen, but Compiz & Beryl enable a new screen which has a blanking timeout. I haven't found a way to get the power management settings to work with the Beryl/Compiz screen manager, but you can disable the screen blanking completely by adding the following to the end of xorg.conf (if you already have a "ServerFlags" section, then just add the options).

Section "ServerFlags"
	Option	"BlankTime"	"0"
	Option	"StandbyTime"	"0"
	Option	"SuspendTime"	"0"
	Option	"OffTime"	"0"
EndSection
Aloha, Tim
Backed up xorg.conf and appended those lines. Will let you know if i works. I had a feeling it had something to do with Compiz.
enchance
Level 3
Level 3

Post by enchance »

Lolo Uila wrote:It's a problem with the way screens are handled. As I understand it, the power management settings in Linux affect the default screen, but Compiz & Beryl enable a new screen which has a blanking timeout. I haven't found a way to get the power management settings to work with the Beryl/Compiz screen manager, but you can disable the screen blanking completely by adding the following to the end of xorg.conf (if you already have a "ServerFlags" section, then just add the options).

Section "ServerFlags"
	Option	"BlankTime"	"0"
	Option	"StandbyTime"	"0"
	Option	"SuspendTime"	"0"
	Option	"OffTime"	"0"
EndSection
Aloha, Tim
Hey, I think it worked!

Return to “Other topics”