Can the Desktop be more?

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
saltyp
Level 1
Level 1

Can the Desktop be more?

Post by saltyp »

Hey all,

never having been an Ubuntu player, are there Mint friendly packages available to enable the OS to act as a router (gateway, DHCP, Firewall etc) I have SuSe performing the duty right now but would love to give Mint a crack at the job.
I have a post here http://www.linuxmint.com/forum/viewtopi ... 903#p44903 around the idea of a fully bloated DVD (sorry dev team)
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
if it aint broken....dont let me near it
Husse

Re: Can the Desktop be more?

Post by Husse »

This is not the purpose of Mint, so we've not "stuffed" our repos with such.
There are some applications but not to the extent that I'd recommend a try
saltyp
Level 1
Level 1

Post by saltyp »

Cheers Husse, My understanding of the Mint distro is exactly that; a fantastic desktop OS. Just thought I'd ask...you know how we all love to fiddle with stuff we shouldn't.
if it aint broken....dont let me near it
cmost
Level 4
Level 4

Post by cmost »

Linux Mint is not appropriate for duty as a server. While you can add appropriate packages for SAMBA, Apache, etc. it's more trouble than it's worth. For a good server OS that's similar to Mint, I would recommend the Server version of Ubuntu or something more specialized like ClarkConnect. Cheers!

Return to “Other topics”