Linux Mint 11 - in TMP doesn't allow to save flash video

Questions about codecs, DVD playback, web plugins...
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Linux Mint 11 - in TMP doesn't allow to save flash video

Postby guido8 on Mon May 30, 2011 10:03 am

Hello to all!

I just found out with Linux Mint 11 after I downloaded codecs and updated Linux Mint 11 doesn't allow to save flash video.

Clicking on the file system and then on the TMP folder there is nothing there.

With Linux Mint 10 there was no problem with that, do I have download some particular package?

Any help?

Thanks in advance!

Guido[b][/b]
guido8
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Linux Mint 11 - in TMP doesn't allow to save flash video

Postby Midnighter on Tue May 31, 2011 4:00 am

Are you trying to save youtube clips and the like? In Firefox, just install and use Video Downloadhelper extension, it's great for grabbing those and others. :)
If you accept - and I do - that freedom of speech is important, then you are going to have to defend the indefensible. That means you are going to be defending the right of people to read, or to write, or to say, what you don't say or like or want said.
Midnighter
Level 6
Level 6

Postby Reddog1 on Fri Jun 03, 2011 2:08 am

Unfortunately, this is the result of Flash 10.2. Before 10.2 the /tmp directory was where viewed flash videos were stored and the directory was cleared on reboot. Now, the directory is /~/.mozilla/firefox/random_stuff.default/Cache and then some number.cache file, which makes it an extreme pain to find your video. Furthermore, the .cache file is also deleted in a manner that I don't comprehend so that the video will be there one minute and then gone the next. Sadly, DownloadHelper seems to be the only really viable alternative for saving vids now.
Reddog1
Level 2
Level 2

Postby rivenathos on Fri Jun 03, 2011 9:44 am

This topic has been discussed a couple of times previously. You can search the forum and read the threads for yourself if you would like to understand it a little more in-depth. The best end result was, as said above, Video DownloadHelper. Just add that Firefox/Iceweasel extension and save yourself lots of frustration. :wink:
Debian 7 with GNOME 64-bit
rivenathos
Level 6
Level 6

Postby Reddog1 on Mon Jun 13, 2011 3:01 am

There is actually another way. You can downgrade to an earlier version of Flash that still uses the /tmp. It ain't super easy, but there is an Adobe site for developers that has the old Flash versions--

http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/142/tn_14266.html

Download the file (126MB) Flash Player 10.1.102.64 and 9.0.2890 (that is all ONE file)

Extract the Zip file and then drill down the folder extracted to the tarball for Linux flashplayer10_1r102_64_linux.tar.gz

Inside that tarball is the libflashplayer.so

Navigate to /opt and open the /opt/mint-flashplugin-10.3 folder as root. Inside that folder, rename the libflashplayer.so to OLDlibflashplayer.so and then copy the libflashplayer.so that you extracted from your tarball into the folder.

That should make Flash use the /tmp as storage instead of the cache. Does on my machine, anyway, at least for the time being.

The reason I downgraded is that the VideoDownloadHelper is too slow for me.
Reddog1
Level 2
Level 2

Return to Sound, Multimedia, & Codecs