Thinkpad X31 and Compiz not working

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
camdecoster
Level 1
Level 1

Thinkpad X31 and Compiz not working

Post by camdecoster »

I recently installed 4.0 on my Thinkpad X31, but I can't get compiz working. I try to enable the desktop effects, but after a flicker a message displays saying that compiz won't start (paraphrasing). This laptop only has a 16MB Mobility Radeon, but I know that compiz will run on an X31. Any ideas of where to look or what to do to fix this? If you need more info, let me know.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Dell m1330 :: Linux Mint 6.0
Husse

Re: Thinkpad X31 and Compiz not working

Post by Husse »

Welcome to Mint camdecoster
Seems a bit low performance....
I know it works on T30 but I don't know the difference between these two
camdecoster
Level 1
Level 1

Post by camdecoster »

Is there a conig or log file I could check to find out what is happening?
Dell m1330 :: Linux Mint 6.0
Husse

Post by Husse »

Most logs are in /var/log but I don't see a compiz log, but there is a xorg log
MagnusB
Level 6
Level 6

Post by MagnusB »

For Thinkpads and other Lenovo computers there is the excellent Thinkwiki. I did a quick search there and I found this, however, since most Thinkpads comes with a variety of hardware solutions I am not sure what setup you have. Hopefully Thinkwiki can help you with your troubles :)
Husse

Post by Husse »

Thinkwiki appears to be down (about 21:50 CET dec 16)
MagnusB
Level 6
Level 6

Post by MagnusB »

It is working now. I suggest TC to use ThinkWiki, as I am greatly confused about the hardware setup on most Thinkpads, each have several setups. But if you have a ATi card there is a high possibillity that it will be like walking through hell and several other unpleasant regions in order to get 3D working, and you might just get stuck in one of those afore mentioned regions, unable to move... Argh, the memories.. :D
PurplePants
Level 1
Level 1

Post by PurplePants »

I have Compiz installed on a T43 and all the 3D effects works, unfortunately I had to disable it because with the effects on, surfing online was utterly painful :(

Return to “Other topics”