Turn off login "ding"?

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
ander111
Level 3
Level 3

Turn off login "ding"?

Post by ander111 »

I have Sound Effects turned off (Sound Preferences > Sound theme > "No sounds"). And in the Login Screen settings, I've cleared the checkbox that says "Play login sound". However, I still get a high-pitched "bell" sound when Mint's log-in screen appears. Will you please tell me how to turn that off as well? Thanks.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
lmintnewb

Re: Turn off login "ding"?

Post by lmintnewb »

Don't quote me on this, been awhile since using Mint 10. Think in Control center under startup apps/progs icon. I believe one of the options and things you can disable from automatically starting is the Mint welcome screen or whatever it's called. Removing that from the list of startup progs/apps, may also get rid of the sound that's annoying you.
dougie

Post by dougie »

This was driving me nuts until I found a solution, of sorts, amongst these tips and tricks. Instead of substituting a different sound file, I simply removed the sound file altogether. Whether this is going to lead to further problems down the line I don't know, but it's great to not have the ding dinging anymore. The steps were:

Enter the command

Code: Select all

gksu nautilus /usr/share/sounds/LinuxMint/stereo
Rename the original file desktop-login.ogg to destop-login-youcanthurtmeagain.ogg

hth

Dougie
northcamel

Post by northcamel »

Return to “Other topics”