Nautilus search yields no results

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Nautilus search yields no results

Postby mover47 on Fri Jan 26, 2007 2:08 am

Hi there,

When I run a search from Nautilus or use Places-->Search, my queries always come back with no results found ('0'). Examples of searches I have run:

boot
bin
etc
fstab
menu
names of mp3 files

I'm a noob, and I don't know where a lot of files or folders are, so I want to use a search instead of wandering around the file system. Why doesn't the search bring back results? Isn't this a "file search"? I used Fedora's search tool like this, and had no problems. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks!
mover47
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Postby skampo on Fri Jan 26, 2007 2:57 am

Go to system preferences and select search indexing, or open file browser and select search, or in terminal type beagle-search.
skampo
Level 1
Level 1

Postby mover47 on Fri Jan 26, 2007 3:13 am

Whether in Beagle or the Gnome-based search, the result is the same:
0 items. I have /root as a path in Beagle, no change. But why should I have to use an indexed search anyway?
mover47
Level 1
Level 1

Postby skampo on Fri Jan 26, 2007 4:43 am

I am sure there is a beter way then what I did. Maybe someone will tell us if so.

What I did was open beagle the first time, then went into preferences and turned of index home folder, then added / so that all the file system is searched when I go to search any of those ways I said.
skampo
Level 1
Level 1

Postby mover47 on Sun Jan 28, 2007 9:22 pm

Thanks skampo. I've 'solved' the problem.

To restate, I had a problem with Nautilus's quick find <Ctrl+F>: When I would search for things like 'bin', 'fstab', and parts of file names, the search would consistently return '0 items'.

Here's how I solved the problem. I accidentally deleted my top panel, then restored it and added the menu bar. On a whim, I tried the Nautilus search again (from any window "Search" button or <Ctrl+F> and viola!--it worked.

Now, when I search for 'etc', I get 283 items, including the folders I was actually looking for.

So, there's my weird solution. Anyone want to try and explain it?
mover47
Level 1
Level 1

Postby mover47 on Sun Jan 28, 2007 9:24 pm

The "desktop search" from places-->search also works now, when it didn't before.
mover47
Level 1
Level 1

beagle search doesn't work for me

Postby jandy on Wed Mar 07, 2007 9:03 pm

I'm experiencing the same problem as mover with my Beagle search. I search for things that I know are there and get zero results. "Search & Indexing" ticks are all on. I don't have any extra panels to delete/add like the OP did. I added / to the search places. Nothing shows up when searching for "bin" or documents that I know are in my documents folder.
jandy
Level 1
Level 1

Update

Postby jandy on Thu Mar 08, 2007 10:21 am

Just an update, Beagle and ctrl-F searches worked after re-booting. Strange--I didn't adjust any settings. Seems just as mysterious as mover's report.
jandy
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Other topics