Help upgrading from Cassandra to Daryna

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Husse

Re: Help upgrading from Cassandra to Daryna

Post by Husse »

Upgrading is a different thing but you're into making a fresh install.
The only thing I recommend doing in home (and I've forgotten to do it more than once :)) is to move some folders out of home into an archive of the desktop
The following (hidden) folders
all hidden folders (name beginning with a dot) with gnome in the name plus possibly .gconf and .gconfd
All (?) settings you've made (including passwords) for your programs remain in home.
Don't save any program files as the versions are not the same in Daryna as in Celena/Cassandra
Just reinstall - with a descent connection that's pretty fast and easy
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Husse

Post by Husse »

The .gnome and .gnome2 folders in home contains settings for gnome that you don't really want to inherit so putting them in an archive stops their influence. (.gconf and .gconfd also but not to the same extent) All other settings are not in there, but elsewhere in home. So this is just a trick to get a fresh look and also save the old settings to study - something may be useful
If you make a fresh install you format the root partition so everything disappears. Reinstall Mint and your programs - this does not take long and you will discover that your programs still have the same settings as before - even passwords.....
McLovin

Post by McLovin »

actually i think what he is saying, (as I have had to do this) is to make a backup of your hidden folders, leave everything else alone, format your "/" partition, but leave your "/home" partition untouched during the install DO NOT REFORMAT "/home", this will preserve all you files and basic settings. the reason he is saying this is because Daryna uses Gnome 2.20, and Cassandra uses Gnome 2.18, so if you still have all the ".gnome" folders you will experience some really strange behavior. At least that is my understanding of it. Then you can use all your hidden folder backups for reference as to what your setting were and then you can use those settings as a base to reconfigure your new desktop. You will still have to reinstall your apps, but things will be easier if you have those folders to grab settings from afterwards.
Husse

Post by Husse »

I concur with MacLovin - only not just back up the .gnome folders - move them into an archive so they will be hidden from the installer.
If I'm unclear please bear in mind that I don't know your mileage....
McLovin

Post by McLovin »

you do not need to back up your hidden folders in your "/" folder, they will all be different anyway. as for what to expect, a better, more stable, and more feature rich system. if you have any issues, just ask. good luck

Return to “Other topics”