Nvidia Driver Won't Take - Solved

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
lakehousetech
Level 4
Level 4

Nvidia Driver Won't Take - Solved

Post by lakehousetech »

Ok. I've got a new laptop, MSI GX700. Specs: Intel Core 2 Duo @ 1.5Ghz, Nvidia GeForce 8600M GT, 4GB DDR2 @ 667, 160GB SATA HDD...etc..etc... I have installed Daryna, but she is running sluggish, as compared to my previous laptop. I've attempted the installation of the Nvidia drivers, both through Envy and manually. The installation goes through, and I have verified the information in the xorg.conf file before restarting. Once I restart I get the window asking to configure the monitor/video (or to always run in low-graphics mode). The only way I can get back to the 1680x1050 is by using dpkg-reconfigure -phigh xserver-xorg. I have looked through the system logs to try to find what is happening, but had no luck. Something is causing it to revert to low-graphics mode, but I can't determine what it is. I haven't had any trouble in the past with the installation of the graphics drivers, but I must have overlooked something this time. I also tried several different Nvidia drivers just in case I had the wrong one. If someone could give me a tip I would be greatful. I've also had stability issues, but I am hoping they will be ironed out with the newer kernel in Mint 5. Anyway, any help would be greatly appreciated...Thanks all for taking a look!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
lakehousetech
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Nvidia Driver Won't Take

Post by lakehousetech »

Well, an update. I tried to start x under recovery mode with the driver, and received an error stating that x couldn't initialize the graphics driver. It also says that it detects screens, but cannot find a usable configuration. I'm going to look around some more. Perhaps I just have the wrong driver installed? Stumped.
lakehousetech
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Nvidia Driver Won't Take

Post by lakehousetech »

Ok. I am marking this as SOLVED, although I can't give specific details of the exact cause of my nvidia installation issues. In order to make the nvidia driver work I had to remove it, as well as envy. I reset the video to vesa. Upon restart I enabled the nvidia driver under restricted drivers. Once I restart (again) I was able to install the nvidia driver manually. So as far as I can tell the restricted drivers manager was somehow interrupting the successful installation of the nvidia driver.

Return to “Other topics”