mintMenu icon problem

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
craigyjack

mintMenu icon problem

Post by craigyjack »

I think there is a problem with my mintMenu icon, and I do not know why. I changed my icon theme, but I want the mint icon to still be on the mintMenu panel app. I went in to my .icons directory and changed the distributor-logo.png/start-here.png, but mintMenu will not use the the new one - it still uses the old one. I know that changing the icons worked though - because INSIDE the mintMenu the icon for apps that use distributor-logo (software portal, ALL application option) are using the new icon. ALSO when I do right-click on panel and "add to panel" the icon for the mint main menu, the main menu, and the menu bar all use the correct mint icon that I changed (but when I add the mint menu to the panel, the icon changes back to the old one).

Is there a reason that mintMenu isnt using the new distributor icon that I set. Everything else in the OS is using the change I made - but mintMenu is for some reason using the old one (I don't even know how, the old image isnt even supposed to exist except in the trash lol, because I overwrote it). Is there a cache or something. I don't understand it.

THanks,
Craig
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Zwopper
Level 10
Level 10

Re: mintMenu icon problem

Post by Zwopper »

Try to log out and back in, or to reload the Mint Menu.
My artwork at deviantART | My Band - Electric Alchemea
CREA DIEM!

Lenovo U330P | i5 | 16GB | 128GB - SSD | Elemantary OS 0.4
merlwiz79
Level 8
Level 8

Post by merlwiz79 »

Log out then back in should do the trick.
The reason the mint apps still use it, is because it has a default icon with it.
It's not using the icon theme to get the icon it's preset.
craigyjack

Post by craigyjack »

I still can not get mintMenu to use the new icon - even though I have replaced the distributor-logo (and the original since its a symbolic link) in ~/.icons/'theme'. I'm not even where mintMenu is pulling the icon its using from, because according to nautilus, that icon doesnt even exist in that directory anymore :) since I overwrote it with the new one. This is specific to mintMenu though, and I replaced the icon correctly, because the gnome main menu and menu bar both use the correct icon I replaced (the original mint icon). mintMenu doesnt want to use the lovely mint icon that I put into ~/.icons/'theme' :)
merlwiz79
Level 8
Level 8

Post by merlwiz79 »

Can you move it to /usr/share/icons?
Also can you upload it so I can download it to test it.
cmost
Level 4
Level 4

Post by cmost »

Hey guys. I was experiencing this same problem and at my wits end. Clem was nice enough to contact me regarding this very issue. (It was driving me insane!!!!!) Here's what Clem says:

"I'm currently finalizing code on mintMenu 3.1 and it's now using
/usr/share/pixmaps/mintmenu.png, so it won't change to the Ubuntu logo
if you change the icon theme. I was frustrated by this problem as well
and it's due to my lack of attention that this actually made its way
into Daryna.. (I thought I already fixed that to be honest) :)

Clem"

Isn't it fantastic when the lead developer of a distribution can take time away from his busy schedule to answer questions from ordinary users? Would Bill Gates or Steve Balmer do that? I think not!! Linux Mint is one helluva distribution with awesome people behind it. :-)
JpBя
Level 1
Level 1

Post by JpBя »

I use that same icon theme, and had the same problem. At least on my system, running MintMenu 3.0, it is easily changed by replacing "~/.icons/black-white/22x22/places/start-here.png" with a suitable mint icon, and then removing and re-adding (or reloading, I suppose) the MintMenu. Hope that might help hold you over till 3.1!
Screenshot.png
ranyardm

Post by ranyardm »

I've written a generic script that fixes the icon, http://www.linuxmint.com/forum/viewtopi ... 42&t=11495, it works for any theme, including those that don't have a 22x22 directory ;-)

--
Martyn Ranyard

Return to “Other topics”