How do I......

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
yehudah

How do I......

Post by yehudah »

Okay, now that my system is almost exactly as I'd like it installed in the future, I'd like to create an ISO of my system as a backup in case it gets trashed in the future.

So, then... How do I backup my system completely then create an ISO for that backup??
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
iironjade
Level 4
Level 4

Re: How do I......

Post by iironjade »

Use AptonCD to make a back up disk. Takes about 2 minutes, if that. :)
"A good many dramatic situations begin with screaming."
yehudah

Post by yehudah »

Does it make a complete image backup?
mercier

Post by mercier »

yehudah wrote:Okay, now that my system is almost exactly as I'd like it installed in the future, I'd like to create an ISO of my system as a backup in case it gets trashed in the future.

So, then... How do I backup my system completely then create an ISO for that backup??
habibi, you need this:
http://linuxmint.com/wiki/index.php/Remastersys

works like a charm, probably the best backup utility i've ever used.
catweazle
Level 2
Level 2

Post by catweazle »

if you have a 32 bit system then you could have a look at "partimage". It can clone partitions as the windows version partition image can do.
You can backup with "tar" as well.
BakUp
Level 3
Level 3

Post by BakUp »

catweazle wrote:if you have a 32 bit system then you could have a look at "partimage". It can clone partitions as the windows version partition image can do.
You can backup with "tar" as well.
Yes indeed, partimage would be my 1st choice !

Take a look: http://www.partimage.org/Main_Page
My Linux Distros:
sidux - Parsix - DreamLinux - Mint
yehudah

Post by yehudah »

iironjade wrote:Use AptonCD to make a back up disk. Takes about 2 minutes, if that. :)
Used it, it rocks. Very easy.

i tried to d/l the other two mentioned in this thread, but they seemed difficult to install. I hate to ask for an easy button.. and I don't mind using the CLI... but as a linux noob I'd like to ask for a nudge ... an easier way to install partimage than to d/l it, compile it, etc....
BakUp
Level 3
Level 3

Post by BakUp »

Hi yehudah, I am not just to sure what you are looking for. So let me comment on a few things.

Remastersys, AptonCD, and Partimage are all totally different tools. I read your first post over better and you mentioned an ISO. Partimage is not an ISO, but it does do a image of a partition, which is good for creating a compressed file of one partition only....all of your data files, all of your system settings, and all of your installed software packages are included.

So when you restore the image back to the same drive where the image was created, you would not have to reinstall any packages, or reconfigure system settings, and all your data is restored. It basically though has to be restored to the same machine and the same partition of where the image was created. If that is what you are looking for, then Partimage is what you will want to use, it is as simple as that.

Using Partimage, you can not have the partition that you would like to make an image of mounted. So in other words, unless you have two different Linux distros installed on your machine, you will not be able to install it to the partition you want to make an image of. You will have to find a Live CD that includes partimage, one of which would be "System Rescue CD"

You would need to download the "System Rescue CD" ISO and burn it to a CD. But from there you would need to allow yourself some time to read both Partimage documentation and "System Rescue CD" documentation and then come back here to post with any problems or questions you may have.

Remastersys is the same as a live CD but of your own version. Someone else may want to comment about this, I'm not sure if this will save your installed packages or not. I have never installed from the Remastersys Live CD. But I do know there are some disadvantages using the Remastersys, its getting very late and I'm getting a little sleepy.

AptonCD is just a backup of your installed packages only.

I am curious what the terms you use, d/l and CLI are ??

I hope this was some help to you, I hope I did not confuse you to bad........lol

BakUp
My Linux Distros:
sidux - Parsix - DreamLinux - Mint
yehudah

Post by yehudah »

Remastersys seems to be what I need.

Ultimately, I'd like to duplicate my current system/setup on a DVD in ISO format. That way if my HD augers in, I can restore it to what it is now (completely).

Thanks!

Return to “Other topics”