Make Mint Update lock version?

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Husse

Re: Make Mint Update lock version?

Post by Husse »

I don't think you can. I know it has been discussed and I thought I'd search for it. However you have a lock as icon so lock and minUpdate is no good search combination even less so version and mintUpdate...
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
cmost
Level 4
Level 4

Post by cmost »

I respectfully disagree with Husse. You can "pin" any version of a particular package that you like; thereby preventing its upgrade and MintUpdate will respect your choices. Here's how to do it:

edit your /etc/apt/preferences file. (if the file doesn't exist, create it as root!) You can PIN packages there and set the file to read only thus preventing Apt from modifying it further. For all the information you need on how to do this, including syntax, see the APT how-to here: http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/apt-h ... html#s-pin

Example 1:
Package: bayonne
Pin: version 1.0.8*
Pin-Priority: 1001

Example 2:
Package: cdparanoia
Pin: version 3a9.8-13*

Currently, I've upgraded my system to the latest OpenOffice.org packages and I've pinned them as described to prvent APT from modifying their versions further. Good luck! :-)
Husse

Post by Husse »

@ cmost
I disagree with you :) and myself :)
The way you describe works of course (disagreeing with myself) but I think the question was if you could do it from within mintUpdate (disagreeing with you)
But I remember this has been discussed so who knows - Clem may have something up his sleeve :)
Husse

Post by Husse »

@ cmost
Forgive me for being so unpolite that I did not thank you. :oops: :oops:
Your solution is appreciated
I knew of "pinning" a package, but it did not surface
And it would have taken quite a bit of googling to find the "syntax"
cmost
Level 4
Level 4

Post by cmost »

@Husse
Your answer wasn't impolite in the least! :-) Pinning is something I used to do back in my Debian days. It would be great if Clem could incorporate that into Mintupdate! Great idea!! :-)
deadguy
Level 5
Level 5

Post by deadguy »

cmost wrote:edit your /etc/apt/preferences file. (if the file doesn't exist, create it as root!) You can PIN packages there and set the file to read only thus preventing Apt from modifying it further. For all the information you need on how to do this, including syntax, see the APT how-to here: http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/apt-h ... html#s-pin

Example 1:
Package: bayonne
Pin: version 1.0.8*

Example 2:
Package: cdparanoia
Pin: version 3a9.8-13*

Currently, I've upgraded my system to the latest OpenOffice.org packages and I've pinned them as described to prvent APT from modifying their versions further. Good luck! :-)
wow!

that's cool :D

Thanks from me as well cmost!!

Return to “Other topics”