Hangs!!

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
frank392
Level 4
Level 4

Hangs!!

Post by frank392 »

PLEASE HELP!!
I'm going Bananas
ok First I was using MintLinux on my Laptop until i got a new video card for my Desktop I use to have a ATI X700 but thank to Scorp123 recommendations I got A NVIDIA I love it it is a Geforce 7900 Gs so I was able to install Linux mint on my Desktop, I have install all the drivers old manually with the ubuntu guide an the new ones with automatix bleder. said all that.
My computer Hangs!!
I was using Linuxmint 2.1 when this happend I had the same problem with 2.2. it freezes completely, I have to reboot the system after this happens.
usually it hapends when I'm downloading something from the internet I have a Zyxel wireles card G-302 V3 it is base on a RTL8185L Chipset (realtek) I Have try a SMC same chipset. no luck
BTW my card is recon. by Linux I have try installing the windows drivers with Ndiswrapper but no difference, so maybe is the combination of all this stuff.
I he try modifing the bios making it as simple as posible but no luck.
ok here is the basic conf of my system:
Motherboard Asus A8V-E Deluxe
CPU Athlon 64 3000
Memory 1 G Kington
HD Maxtor eide
Video Pny Nvidia Geforce 7900 GS PCIE
Wireles PCI Zyxel G-302 V3

other thing I'm testing my system with UBUNTU edgy to see if I get the same problem, so far so good
If you have any Idea please let me know
One more thing I have 5 hard disk on my computer, but only one is connected the other ones are for testing and playing around, so no dualboot

Please if you have any idea let me know.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
nick
Level 5
Level 5

Hangs!!

Post by nick »

I see you have and ASUS 8V series motherboardor version of it.
Try http://linuxmint.com/forum/viewtopic.ph ... #5708Looks like it could be Edgy Bug on ASUS K8V motherboards,
http://www.mail-archive.com/ubuntu-bugs ... 55932.html (Possible) workarounds: Disable DRI or set AGP speed to 4x in BIOS settings.
Maybe of some help,
Might be of some help (or not)
Nick
frank392
Level 4
Level 4

Post by frank392 »

Thank you, but my system hangs when I'm working NOT on boot.
I can be working fine for hours and the it happens everything freezes,
Nothing works, no mouse, no keyboard. dead. Usually happens when I'm downloading something
frank392
Level 4
Level 4

Post by frank392 »

I have search the forums for Hanging, But all I was able to find is Systems getting hang on Boot.
"like it could be Edgy Bug" I thought about that since Mint is base on Edgy.
SO I'm testing Ubuntu Edgy and is the second day and no problem
nick
Level 5
Level 5

Hangs!!

Post by nick »

Hi
I realise that it was hanging whilst in use but wondered if it could be an inherently related issue to the one I stated. i.e,
it was causing your computer to hang rather than fail on boot.
There is a thread on hardlocks on Edgy:
Recent edgy hardlocks:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=296031
but as yours is running O.K. on edgy now, the only thing I suggest is try a reinstall.
Are you running Edgy on the same partion/hard disc as you were Mint. Could it be a hard drive problem if not?
Nick
scorp123
Level 8
Level 8

Post by scorp123 »

frank392 wrote:Thank you, but my system hangs when I'm working NOT on boot. I can be working fine for hours and the it happens everything freezes, Nothing works, no mouse, no keyboard. dead. Usually happens when I'm downloading something
Is that an older system (e.g. 2+ years old)? Try lowering the AGP speeds. You'd have to check the BIOS for that. Depending on your motherboard and/or computer brand that's DEL or F10 (or something else) when your computer starts. Then search for the right option ...

When it says that AGP speed is currently set to "auto" then set it to some manual value, e.g. "8x", or if it's set to "8x" try setting it to "4x".

Maybe this will help. I once had a similar problem, one of my computers would freeze whenever I did something in 3D (e.g. screensavers, games, etc.) or when there was some animation going on (e.g. progress bars when downloading or copying something).
frank392
Level 4
Level 4

Post by frank392 »

Hi nick,
thank you for the links that gave me some light on the problem.
and no I have mint on as the only OS in my computer what I do is swithch hard Drives I do not like to dual boot.
thank you very much
frank392
Level 4
Level 4

Post by frank392 »

Hi Scorp123,
Thank you for your help,
I have re-install Mint 2.1 but this time I have not install the drivers for the video card and I have no install the update of the Flash.(flashplugin-nonfree)
I'm keeping it as clean as possible and so far so god I left the computer on all night, download more than 3 thing at a time and is very stable.
so I guess I'll try to install one of those thing first a see what happens.
do you have any Idea were should i start?.and for the Nvidia deriver which version and what is the best way to install the I do not want to use auomatix , it installs a lot of stuff that i do not have idea what it is.

BTW my motherboard is a PCI-Express

Thanks
scorp123
Level 8
Level 8

Post by scorp123 »

frank392 wrote:and for the Nvidia deriver which version and what is the best way to install the I do not want to use auomatix
I think in the new versions of Mint there should be a command called envy which will get the newest drivers for you.
frank392
Level 4
Level 4

Post by frank392 »

Hi Scorp123,
Actually there is a command in Bea it is not the new one. but I think it is stable.
and I think that the problem of the computer hagging is related to the wireless card I just got a new one It is a Dynex, it is base on an artheros chip
it works better that the Realtek, I started testing an hour ago with no freezing until now. I presume it is the combination if the video card and the Realtek Chip.
I will keep posting If I have any more problems.

Thank you
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Post by clem »

There's an up to date envy in the bianca repository..
frank392
Level 4
Level 4

Post by frank392 »

Thank you very much, but I have install them Manually.
I have try to install with envy and the only thing I got was a Black screen and a blinking cursor on the up left side of the screen.
Thanks
deimus

Re: Hangs!!

Post by deimus »

Your problem sounds the same as mine. I have tried ubuntu/kubuntu/mint and get this random lock up problem as well. I am afraid the only solution I have found so far is to change operating systems. Fedora/suse/freespire etc work fine as well as older versions of ubuntu on the same hardware for extended periods, this problem has only occured for me on the latest ubuntu based distros. Would love some kind of solution.

Return to “Other topics”