External HD Trouble....

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Locrian
Level 2
Level 2

External HD Trouble....

Post by Locrian »

Well this is the first time something quite like this happened.... i haven't changed any setting what so ever yet for some reason now all i can do is read my file in my external HD, and before i could change the permissions on it and such but now i cant and it says "You are not the owner, so you can't change this permissions"...... to complicate the matter even more earlier today i was going to add some music to my zune so i hooked the external HD to my laptop running XP and after i hooked it up the laptop started malfunctioning when i opened my computer the external was showing as C: so i had two C: what the hell is happening!?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
MagnusB
Level 6
Level 6

Re: External HD Trouble....

Post by MagnusB »

Is your external drive old? Random issues like this might mean end of life for the drive. Try smartmontools to check if it is saying bye bye. I made a post about this in general help, I'll look it up for you.
http://www.linuxmint.com/forum/viewtopi ... =18&t=9370
You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on.
--Dean Martin
Locrian
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Locrian »

mm i cant remember exactly how old but not more than 2 years its a Western digital 250 gig, and it was working just find on linux until like 3 sec ago when i was about to add a file and then it stopped working again.......... i guess i should start backing up all my files.....
MagnusB
Level 6
Level 6

Post by MagnusB »

I might be wrong, it could be some bad blocks, or other issues. But when you get random, seemingly unrelated errors on a HDD it usually signify end of life. You could download a GParted liveCD (my favorite tool) and run a check of the drive, to see if the filesystem is intact. But a SMART test could be wise as well. If you have over 600.000 cycles it nears end of life.
--Dean Martin
Locrian
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Locrian »

well i backed up all my files and deleted everything from my hd but when i try to unmount it and hit empty trash it fails......... tells me i cant, i also tried a command to format it but it tells me its not finding the drive @_@
MagnusB
Level 6
Level 6

Post by MagnusB »

Try GParted to check the filesystem, maybe format the drive.
--Dean Martin
iironjade
Level 4
Level 4

Post by iironjade »

Locrian wrote:Well this is the first time something quite like this happened.... i haven't changed any setting what so ever yet for some reason now all i can do is read my file in my external HD, and before i could change the permissions on it and such but now i cant and it says "You are not the owner, so you can't change this permissions"...... to complicate the matter even more earlier today i was going to add some music to my zune so i hooked the external HD to my laptop running XP and after i hooked it up the laptop started malfunctioning when i opened my computer the external was showing as C: so i had two C: what the hell is happening!?
Remove the drive from your XP machine via "Safely Remove Hardware" before connecting it to the Linux machine. Why this works, I've no idea but it did for me.
"A good many dramatic situations begin with screaming."

Return to “Other topics”