Cinnamon disappears, other desktop peculiarities

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Cinnamon disappears, other desktop peculiarities

Postby Thumpdog on Wed Mar 28, 2012 5:53 pm

Hi. This is kind of a Desktop Environment question, but it's not about just one environment, so it might go here.

I have Linux Mint 12 installed on two different computers. In each case, I installed the Xfce desktop to the existing installation. So at login, I have six choices.

On Computer #1, the desktop, I can no longer log into Cinnamon. If I choose it, I am put into GNOME.

I know Cinnamon is still there; in fact, Update Manager obediently fetched the 1.4 release just the other day.

If you were to troubleshoot this, where would you start? I'm kind of at a loss. I did uninstall and reinstall Cinnamon, which I admit is kind of a Windowsy thing to do.

Related, possibly:

On Computer #2, the laptop, where all the desktops are accessible, Cinnamon has kind of taken over Xfce. When I log into the Xfce desktop, Nautilus appears, and the desktop background is the one I chose in Cinnamon, not the one I chose in Xfce.

On Computer #1, where I can't get into Cinnamon, Xfce controls its own desktop background settings.

This isn't exactly a showstopping problem, of course, but it's puzzling, and it's a learning opportunity too.
Thumpdog
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Cinnamon disappears, other desktop peculiarities

Postby Thumpdog on Thu Apr 05, 2012 9:26 pm

OK, found it in http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=208&t=94842, the Cinnamon 1.3 thread. There were several notices of this bug, proving that I did a lousy job searching before posting.

Oddly enough, running apt show cinnamon | grep nvidia returned nothing, indicating that the Nvidia dependency was not my problem. But I ran

Code: Select all
apt update
apt clean
apt reinstall cinnamon
apt remove --purge nvidia-current

anyway, and Cinnamon is back.
Thumpdog
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Cinnamon disappears, other desktop peculiarities

Postby efelixlycos on Sat Dec 29, 2012 12:04 pm

I recently installed linux Mint 14 cinnamon, everytime I change the resolution on my monitor my desktop disappears. For now the solution is to re-install cinnamon, but this needs to be resolved. Besides this post, is there anything I can do?
Thanks! Happy new year.
efelixlycos
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Other topics