Mint and Ebay

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Mint and Ebay

Postby antiquexray on Thu Nov 23, 2006 12:05 pm

Here's a problem I posted on the Ubuntu forum quite a while ago and still have no resolution. When I receive a notice from Ebay with respect to an auction I'm following, and click on the link, I get a message that says the item has been removed, when in fact it hasn't. Any ideas?

BTW, Happy Thanksgiving for all those who celebrate it.
antiquexray
Level 5
Level 5

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Postby Fragadelic on Thu Nov 23, 2006 4:26 pm

Are you letting the browser save your info for Ebay?

What Extensions do you have installed?
Fragadelic
Level 4
Level 4

Postby antiquexray on Thu Nov 23, 2006 4:29 pm

Fragadelic wrote:Are you letting the browser save your info for Ebay?

What Extensions do you have installed?

Well, I guess I have to say I don't know and I don't know. I even say I don't know how to or how to check :(
antiquexray
Level 5
Level 5

Postby Fragadelic on Thu Nov 23, 2006 4:49 pm

Assuming you are using firefox, when you go to ebay and log in, it should have asked you if you wanted to save the password info. You may have answered no. This could be part of the issue.

Chances are that you haven't installed any other extensions like noscript,etc since you don't know where they are.

I'll have to try it out and see what happens with mine.

As for extensions I always install noscript and adblock plus. noscript prevents any scripts from being run on any sites unless I have explicitly said they could run.
Fragadelic
Level 4
Level 4

Postby antiquexray on Thu Nov 23, 2006 4:56 pm

Fragadelic wrote:Assuming you are using firefox, when you go to ebay and log in, it should have asked you if you wanted to save the password info. You may have answered no. This could be part of the issue.

Chances are that you haven't installed any other extensions like noscript,etc since you don't know where they are.

As for extensions I always install noscript and adblock plus. noscript prevents any scripts from being run on any sites unless I have explicitly said they could run.

I do indeed have my name and password saved for Ebay by Firefox. As far as the extentions, after you explained, no. But i may.

As I said in a previous post, although playing with Linux distros for about 3 years, I still think of myself as a newbie. I really need to learn "terminal." Funny, it was actually the Net that broke the grip that MS-DOS had on me forcing me to move toward Windows.
antiquexray
Level 5
Level 5

Postby Fragadelic on Thu Nov 23, 2006 5:05 pm

As for Terminal and Gui, I use whatever gets the job done quicker for me.

I have a lot of bash scripts that I use in my day to day uses that I have created over the years. They get things done much quicker than clicking around for certain functions. I'm not a CLI freak by no means. I love the gui but some thigns are just easier and faster in CLI.

As for the Ebay issue, try this and see what happens.

Copy the link from your email message. Open your browser and browse to ebay. Login to ebay. Once you are logged in, paste the link from your email that you copied into the same browser window where you logged into ebay. It may be that your email app is trunking some of the link when it passes it to the browser.
Fragadelic
Level 4
Level 4

Return to Other topics