Shrinking Hard Disk Space?! Need Help!

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Shrinking Hard Disk Space?! Need Help!

Postby mfreeman on Mon Apr 16, 2012 6:43 pm

I'm running Linux Mint 10. I have my partitions set up so that / is on a 15Gb partition (small, but fine for what I have installed), /home is on a much larger partition, and /tmp is on a ramdisk. I had about 1Gb of free space on my / partition. Today, I suddenly got a warning that there was about 700Mb left, then a little later, 80Mb. I stopped all running programs, uninstalled some software I didn't need to use at the moment (games) as an emergency measure, and freed up about 1.5 Gb. I continued using the computer, and after a few hours of leaving the computer on, I got another warning that I had about 700Mb left on the partition. I sat and watched for a while, and the drive is steadily losing about 1 to 2 Mb every 30 seconds. What could be causing this? I've never seen this happen before. This is really kind of scary!
mfreeman
Level 3
Level 3

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Shrinking Hard Disk Space?! Need Help!

Postby Matti L on Mon Apr 16, 2012 7:08 pm

Use Disk Usage Analyzer (in accessories) to see where are the largest folders. Maybe some logs are running wild. :?
Matti L
Level 2
Level 2

Postby mfreeman on Tue Apr 17, 2012 11:48 am

Yeah, my syslog was bloating out of control. Not sure what exactly was causing it, but a reboot has stopped it (at least for now). If it returns, I'll post again to give an update.
mfreeman
Level 3
Level 3

Postby DataMan on Thu Apr 19, 2012 12:58 pm

You might want to checkout Bleachbit (it's in the repositories). Among it's many features, it does a purge of the rotated logs.

-DataMan
Linux'd since 2005 Linux ID 422356 Ubuntu ID 15015
DataMan
Level 6
Level 6

Return to Other topics