New Linux Mint user here.

Welcome to newcomers! Don't hesitate to introduce yourself.
Forum rules
Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
MechWolf

New Linux Mint user here.

Post by MechWolf »

I've just had this OS on my computer for a little under a week. I've had a bootable Gig Stick, that I would boot from to get to know a little about Linux Mint. Then I decided it was time. That is one of the best decisions I've ever made. I'm sure I don't have to tell anyone here how much faster my computer boots and how much better it performs. The one thing that I can't figure out is how to get my spell checker to work. Sometimes, in a hurry, I misspell stuff all the time and I hate looking like I'm illiterate. I hope I spelled that right. Lol. Anyway, I hope I don't step on anyone's toes here. I also hope this is a good forum for adults. I've tried other forums and asked a question and got laughed at because of my lack of knowledge and got read the riot act. I don't need that.
Thanks in advance. This place looks great.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
jp734

Re: New Linux Mint user here.

Post by jp734 »

Welcome. Good to know you are liking Mint and I'm pretty sure you will like the forum as well.

As far as "spell checker", let us know what program you are using so we can help you better. If you've been using Microsoft Office, in Linux we have OpenOffice, LibreOffice, AbiWord, etc... and you should be able to activate auto correction pretty much the same way with Word. Hope this helps. If not, we'll be waiting for your post.
MechWolf

Post by MechWolf »

jp734 wrote:Welcome. Good to know you are liking Mint and I'm pretty sure you will like the forum as well.

As far as "spell checker", let us know what program you are using so we can help you better. If you've been using Microsoft Office, in Linux we have OpenOffice, LibreOffice, AbiWord, etc... and you should be able to activate auto correction pretty much the same way with Word. Hope this helps. If not, we'll be waiting for your post.
Thanks for the reply. No, I don't have anything MS on this computer. I just want a spell checker. Is there a link to this spell checker you reccomended?
Thanks.
The-Wizard

Post by The-Wizard »

welcome to the mint family forums

wizard
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

Hi MechWolf, welcome to the Linux Mint forums :D Thanks for joining the forums! As for spell checking, that is enabled by default on LIbreOffice, but you need to switch it on yourself in Firefox. Right-click in a text input area, make sure there is a checkmark before "Check Spelling" or else click it to activate spell checking. Right-click again and from the Languages submenu you can pick your language or add additional languages.

Be sure also to check out the Community website (ideas, tutorials, and hardware and software reviews), and the Cinnamon Spices website for adding even more themes, applets and extensions to Cinnamon.

You can also chat in real-time with other Linux Mint users. In the Mint Menu, in the Internet section, start the application XChat IRC. You will automatically get connected to #linuxmint-chat for general chat and #linuxmint-help for support with other Linux Mint users.

Have fun with Linux Mint :wink:
MechWolf

Post by MechWolf »

Thanks guys, I feel this is a very good forum. Little by little, I'm figuring Linux Mint out. I'm just glad that I'm not being snubbed because I'm asking questions that most of you have known for years. Thanks.....
rivenathos
Level 6
Level 6

Post by rivenathos »

Welcome to the forums!
Current hardware: a Dell OptiPlex 3010 desktop, a Dell Inspiron 531 desktop, and a Dell Inspiron 1545 laptop.
Current OS: LMDE 3
MechWolf

Post by MechWolf »

Question. I hope I'm not getting on you all's nerves, but my OS says it Caja 1.2.1. Does this sound right and is it good? We just through 2 days with no power because of a tornado, so I haven't been on. I know I need to get more involved, but to be honest, I'm like a baby in a new world.
Thanks for a great forum....

Return to “Introduce Yourself”