Hello from Austria!

Welcome to newcomers! Don't hesitate to introduce yourself.
Forum rules
Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
AgentWhite

Hello from Austria!

Post by AgentWhite »

Hi and greetings from Austria 8)

A few words about me:
I'm a computer sciences student (and Unix fan) who also works part-time for a Company as applications developer. In my work environment I only use Windows with Microsofts SQL and Visual Studio. But for my work at the University I rather like working with Linux. :D

...and here's my story how I came to Linux:
I was a long time Windows user/developer (yeah, at least I'm honest :wink: ) but also a big Unix/Linux fan. I started using Knoppix many years ago as a Rescue CD for the worst case. A few years ago I started using OpenSuse on my old Dell Inspiron 6400, cause I wanted to get into sth new and I was always curious about Linux and like to try new things. :D

I was very happy with OpenSuse. One time I decided to try Ubuntu, by the time it was Version 10.04 and I was, again, amazed. After a few months the Update to Version 11 was there and I tried that and Unity came...aaaaannd it was deleted faster than it installed :lol:
I didn't heard about Unity before I installed Version 11 and I was shocked. I turned my back on Linux for a little while. Time went by and I started to study Computer Sciences at my University. I realized that I didn't wanted to work with Windows (I was working on Windows with Microsofts SQL and Visual Studio all the time at work) and my University was all about Open Source. So I started to dig out my old Laptop and installed - again - OpenSuse. I realized that KDE got the Plasma Desktop, which looked cool, but I thought of it a bit unwieldy. :?

Time went by and I bought a new Laptop, an Alienware m11x. Strong enough for current games but also small enough for travel every day and to work at my University. Today I'm using the old Ubuntu 10.04 LTS on my Dell and the Alienware with Windows 7. Recently (a few days ago) I thought of giving Linux Mint a try (a friend of mine talked about Linux Mint) and now I'm dual booting Windows 7 and Linux Mint Mate Edition on my Alienware :D

So, that's my story :)
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Hello from Austria!

Post by xenopeek »

Hi AgentWhite, welcome to the Linux Mint forums :D Thanks for joining the forums!

Be sure also to check out the Community website (tutorials, hardware and software reviews, ideas). You can also chat in real-time with other Linux Mint users. In the Mint Menu, in the Internet section, start the application XChat IRC. You will automatically get connected to #linuxmint-chat for general chat and #linuxmint-help for support with other Linux Mint users.

Have fun with Linux Mint :wink:
The-Wizard

Post by The-Wizard »

G'Day welcome to the Mint family forums

wizard
jesica

Post by jesica »

Hallo and welcome to the Mint forum
warunasanjaya1414

Post by warunasanjaya1414 »

Welcome to Linux mint forums. I have no special interest in Linux mint. I like Windows XP,Windows Vista and Windows 7.

Return to “Introduce Yourself”