Linux noob, hoping for escape

Welcome to newcomers! Don't hesitate to introduce yourself.

Linux noob, hoping for escape

Postby Rennae on Thu Sep 20, 2012 10:07 am

Hi everyone. So for years I've been in the Windows and Mac world, dealing with poor support (windows) and a lot of closed thinking (mac). I've wanted to try linux for years but it's always been daunting for me. I've tried different distros before, but nothing ever worked well for me. I heard of Linux Mint and thought I would give it a try. I've been playing around with it for a few days now and so far I like what I see. I hope this distro can finally get me away from Windows and Mac all together and allow me an option that doesn't cost a fortune every time there is an update.

Anyhow, just thought I would say hi, and glad to see there is a well based community here for answering questions. :D
Rennae
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Linux noob, hoping for escape

Postby caerolle on Thu Sep 20, 2012 11:24 am

Hi Rennae!

Welcome to the Mint Forums, and to Linux Mint!

Your experience is pretty common I think, from the comments I've seen since I joined. And, it certainly matches mine. I have tried several different distros, even after I got more experience with Linux using Mint. Not one of them will run a program that is a must-have for me, even with a lot of research and posting questions on my part. With Mint, it just worked, no problems. I think it is something specifically related to my set-up, as other people run the program with no problems, but that is the beauty of Mint, it seems to be much less fussy about hardware.

I can definitely relate to wanting to move beyond the heavily produced, corporate OSes, too. Although Windows 7 seems to boot and load programs as fast on my system as Linux does, I prefer the cleaner, simpler, and more flexible environment of Linux.

I hope you continue to have a good experience with Linux Mint!

Caerolle :)
caerolle
Level 3
Level 3

Postby jesica on Thu Sep 20, 2012 11:44 am

Good day and welome to the Mint forum :mrgreen:

My Linux Counter number # 566377
Mate
IT Ninja
Happy apt-get-ing!
Linux Mint Donar # 2159

Security is the separation of an asset from a threat.
jesica
Level 9
Level 9

Postby xenopeek on Thu Sep 20, 2012 12:33 pm

Hi Rennae, welcome to the Linux Mint forums :D Thanks for joining the forums!

Be sure also to check out the Community website (tutorials, hardware and software reviews, ideas), and the Cinnamon Spices website for adding even more themes, applets and extensions to Cinnamon (if you have picked the Cinnamon edition of Linux Mint :wink:).

You can also chat in real-time with other Linux Mint users. In the Mint Menu, in the Internet section, start the application XChat IRC. You will automatically get connected to #linuxmint-chat for general chat and #linuxmint-help for support with other Linux Mint users.

Have fun with Linux Mint.
xenopeek
Level 21
Level 21

Postby The-Wizard on Thu Sep 20, 2012 1:17 pm

Welcome to the Mint family forums

wizard
asus M2N-MX board, AMD x2 6000 amd/ati graphics 4x1mb ddr2, 21" HD screen Mint 17-64 cinnamon
Acer ZG5 -peppermint dell 1545 mint 17-64

"I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that i don't know the answer " [Douglas Adams]
The-Wizard
Level 8
Level 8

Postby Rennae on Thu Sep 20, 2012 1:48 pm

Thanks everyone :3

I installed Mint 13 - 64 bit Cinammon. So far I have to say I'm really enjoying it. There are a few things that I'm working seeing if I can get working, but that is the beauty of these forums. It's so simple to search and find many different answers. If none work, then there is always the option to start a new post. I look forward to learning more about the linux environment :3
Rennae
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Introduce yourself