Peace, dudes!

Welcome to newcomers! Don't hesitate to introduce yourself.
Forum rules
Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
HisDudeness

Peace, dudes!

Post by HisDudeness »

Please allow me to introduce myself, I am a man of wealth and taste.

Kidding. Nice to meet all you minties! I'm actually quite new to this distro as I've made a huge cross linux-platform out of my laptop to try them all, both distros and desktop environments, but essentially stuck with Ubuntu as too noobish I am. That until I ragequitted for it being a huge buggy mess (I was actually one of the few madmen to even like Unity). Didn't wait for Quetzal to get Amazon thought police.

Now I'm using LMDE 201204 with Cinnamon, and I have to say I've never felt so damn good about an operative system. I'm still encountering a bunch of minor problems, but nothing tha can't be solved with a bit of searching and asking I think.

On the internet I'm generally a grammar <violates forum rules> (oh god it is a censured word...), or better a strenuous, untiring defender of the correct language against the attack of brainless youngsters, both for Italian and English. In other words, I never mind my own business. I hate modern abbreviations-to-the-bone, internet memes (yeah, I know I've written "ragequitted" just above) and so on. Proudly not on Facebook!

I've started to grow a real informatics interest when my university made me discover Linux, but I'm no geek as I can barely do the basic things right now. I hope one day I'll be. I'm more of a nerd right now as I'm studying physics and I have a real genuine interest for all that stuff, including its mathematic basis.

Other than that, I have to say that music is my life, and I obviously can't play a damn instrument. I have a bit of a rock culture, mainly liking the music from the latter sixties on, but being quite a freak from what derived from it too (like more modern movements such as punk and heavy metal), and really liking what rock came out from (blues, jazz, country, folk) even if I did never explore much of them and so I have no great culture about it. Among my favorites, Deep Purple, Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, Creedence Clearwater Revival, The Doors, The Ramones, Dead Kennedys, Bad Religion, Rage Against the Machine, cKy and Black Mountain.

I think myself as a little cinephile too, but I lack some classic culture, a thing i intend to remedy real soon. Among my favorite movies, The Big Lebowski (oh, really?), The 25th Hour, Pulp Fiction, Memento, One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, Fight Club... I principally hate television, but I like a bunch of TV shows that I prefer to watch on my own instead of waiting for them to be aired (such as The Simpsons, Scrubs, Breaking Bad, Futurama, South Park...). I'm Italian and I think we have the best dubbing in the world, but I think that it just destroys half of the show quality and meaning anyway, so I prefer to watch anything in original language (I still need subtitles though...).

Among my favorite novelists, instead, there are James Ellroy and Chuck Palahniuk, but I think 1984 to be the best book ever written.

What has all this to do with this forum? Was it really necessary to write it down? Does anybody even cares about a word of it? I guess we all know the answers, but I just felt like writing a bunch of useless stuff. Anyway, hi to everyone, pleased to meet you, hope you guess my name, and remember to both take it easy and abide, anytime, anywhere.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Peace, dudes!

Post by xenopeek »

Hi there, Jeffrey? (my guess for your name) Welcome to the Linux Mint forums :D Thanks for joining the forums, and for the thorough introduction! I've counted myself lucky be from a country where foreign movies and TV shows have always been subtitled and never dubbed (except for young children). These days I can watch without subtitling.

Be sure also to check out the Community website (ideas, tutorials, and hardware and software reviews), and the Cinnamon Spices website for adding even more themes, applets and extensions to Cinnamon.

You can also chat in real-time with other Linux Mint users. In the Mint Menu, in the Internet section, start the application XChat IRC. You will automatically get connected to #linuxmint-debian for support with other LMDE users. You can also type "/join #linuxmint-chat" to join the chat channel.

Have fun with Linux Mint.
The-Wizard

Post by The-Wizard »

Awesome dude.....

you must have forgot Metalica from your list :wink: :lol:

Welcome to the Mint family forums

wizard
jesica

Post by jesica »

Good day and welcome to the Linux Mint Forums :mrgreen:
HisDudeness

Post by HisDudeness »

xenopeek wrote:Hi there, Jeffrey? (my guess for your name) Welcome to the Linux Mint forums :D
Thanks, xenopeek! Almost right. I mean, obviously my full username in every distro is Jeffrey Lebowski. Luckily that isn't my real first name, as the Italian translation is in Italy quite a ridiculous, extinct and strange-sounding name.
xenopeek wrote:I've counted myself lucky be from a country where foreign movies and TV shows have always been subtitled and never dubbed (except for young children). These days I can watch without subtitling.
Very lucky... sigh. Now, with digital terrestrial TV many channels offer the option to switch audio to the original one, which is great, but subtitles are never working, so it is no use. Our habit to dub everything is an horrible one in my opinion. I mean, I was watching some news when I ran into a conference by our prime minister Mario Monti in which he was speaking English, and he was dubbed in Italian too... no wonder we are around the worst English speaker in the world... Thanks for the Community advice, it's an awesome project! I already subscribed, funny there isn't an account link between here and there, but not anywhere near a problem obviously.
The-Wizard wrote:you must have forgot Metalica from your list :wink: :lol:
That is actually a really controversial matter as, I may sound obvious, I find them in the Cliff era to be one of the best band ever, and then they have had in my opinion a constant and catastrophic downfall (I don't even like the black album...) towards what we know to be (Re)Load and St. Anger. I reeeeally like Death Magnetic, is without any doubt their best non-Burton album, so I could say they are rising from the dead, but the latest thing they ever made is "Lulu" with that asshole Lou Reed, which is the worst abomination that had ever been made to music in its whole history (not even House or the modern Pop music got that far).

Thanks anyone for welcoming. Hope I won't involuntarily misbehave or litter the Forum (by making useless, misplaced or repeated questions), and I hope I may sometime be even useful to anyone!

Return to “Introduce Yourself”