I probably won't go back to Windows...

Welcome to newcomers! Don't hesitate to introduce yourself.
Forum rules
Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
illdubb

I probably won't go back to Windows...

Post by illdubb »

Let me just start by saying, Wow... I've been using Linux for a few weeks now, but Mint for a week now. I finally got a chance to really explore and tweak things last night. Being completely clueless, I spent approx. 2 hours on youtube, google, and xchat getting familiar with Mint 13 (mate). I just seen that 14 is out now, but I'm going to wait to upgrade until I get everything tweaked to my likings. I am finally upgrading my PC, but still have a laptop running Windows (may not for long). My 10 year old PC I purchased back when I was in high school was able to run Mint 13! Used DVI to show on my monitor, and WOW! It's crazy how my "dinosaur" was brought back from the dead with Mint. The dinosaur had XP installed prior, but it was becoming really slow and laggy, and I eventually lost interest in using it until now! Now I have XBMC running on it (little lag on streaming video), and tweaked around with compiz. Now I remember what it was like to get the NES for Christmas a long time ago... Let me just say that the available help for a linux beginner like myself is amazing. The only reason I have to keep Windows around is Reason...lol. I produce music (mostly hip hop beats) with Reason, and waiting for it to become 100% available on Linux to do a clean install of Mint on my laptop next. I used Ubuntu when I first started, but it seemed bloated for me, and my dinosaur lagged using it. My dinosaur now runs Mint SMOOTH... Thank you Linux, I will soon be a 100% Linux guy as soon as my Music production software is available to me through Linux. Yes, I am aware of LMMS, but I think it lacks a bit from the specs and details I have read. Thank you Linux Mint for making the transition to Linux VERY easy, and enjoyable.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
The-Wizard

Re: I probably won't go back to Windows...

Post by The-Wizard »

Welcome to the Mint family forums

wizard
illdubb

Post by illdubb »

Thanks Wizard!
overthetop

Post by overthetop »

Welcome aboard illdubb! :P
illdubb

Post by illdubb »

Thanks! I can't wait to earn my brown belt... :lol:
jesica

Post by jesica »

Good day and welcome to Mint :mrgreen:
nomko

Post by nomko »

illdubb wrote:I just seen that 14 is out now, but I'm going to wait to upgrade until I get everything tweaked to my likings.
My advise here: stick with Mint 13! It is a Long term support release (LTS) which will be supported until April 2017. Support for Mint 14 ends at April 2014.
illdubb wrote:My 10 year old PC I purchased back when I was in high school was able to run Mint 13! Used DVI to show on my monitor, and WOW! It's crazy how my "dinosaur" was brought back from the dead with Mint.
That's one of the many advantages of Linux. It doesn't require high end specifications. Really suitable for users who has an "old dinosaur" :wink:
illdubb wrote: The dinosaur had XP installed prior, but it was becoming really slow and laggy, and I eventually lost interest in using it until now! Now I have XBMC running on it (little lag on streaming video), and tweaked around with compiz. Now I remember what it was like to get the NES for Christmas a long time ago... Let me just say that the available help for a linux beginner like myself is amazing. The only reason I have to keep Windows around is Reason...lol. I produce music (mostly hip hop beats) with Reason, and waiting for it to become 100% available on Linux to do a clean install of Mint on my laptop next. I used Ubuntu when I first started, but it seemed bloated for me, and my dinosaur lagged using it. My dinosaur now runs Mint SMOOTH... Thank you Linux, I will soon be a 100% Linux guy as soon as my Music production software is available to me through Linux. Yes, I am aware of LMMS, but I think it lacks a bit from the specs and details I have read. Thank you Linux Mint for making the transition to Linux VERY easy, and enjoyable.
Welcome to this forum! And i really do hope that you enjoy Mint the same way as we all do here!

Return to “Introduce Yourself”