Finally settled on Mint (for now >:D)

Welcome to newcomers! Don't hesitate to introduce yourself.
Forum rules
Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
TwilightBeach43

Finally settled on Mint (for now >:D)

Post by TwilightBeach43 »

Hiya!
I've been using Linux for a few years. I've been using Mint on and off since version 9. It's gotten a lot more polished, good job to the development team!
I've finally settled on Mint for me and my 6 year old Acer Nettop. I couldn't bare myself to throw it out, with Windows Vista/7/8 running so freaking slow.
I stayed away from Linux for a while since Gnome 3 came out. My computer was too slow for Gnome 3, KDE 4, and other desktops, like XFCE, Trinity, were not tickling my fancy.

Now that MATE has matured, I'm happy. Mint 14 MATE demolishes Windows on this poor little Acer and all it's 1.6GHz. :D
I may not be here for long, as Fedora is my prefered distro and I believe they are going to start a MATE spin soon.
I mainly just joined the forum here to say hi, and help answer some questions while I enjoy using this awesome distro.
Thank you, and have an awesome day.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Finally settled on Mint (for now >:D)

Post by xenopeek »

Thanks for stopping in and be welcome for the time you are here! I read Fedora 18 is going to include MATE, which gives credit to the MATE team for the work they are doing as more and more distros are offering MATE. Linux Mint was the first distro to offer MATE as a main edition, but we're happy to see other distros follow :mrgreen: It means hopefully the MATE team can grow, making the MATE desktop even better over time.
TwilightBeach43

Post by TwilightBeach43 »

xenopeek wrote:Thanks for stopping in and be welcome for the time you are here! I read Fedora 18 is going to include MATE, which gives credit to the MATE team for the work they are doing as more and more distros are offering MATE. Linux Mint was the first distro to offer MATE as a main edition, but we're happy to see other distros follow :mrgreen: It means hopefully the MATE team can grow, making the MATE desktop even better over time.
It is! It's either going to be in the repositories or available as a spin. Which I'm fine with either. :)
I'm rooting for MATE. Gnome 3 is a fine solution for what it is, and it could possibly do wonders for tablets with a little tweaking, but I always find myself coming back to Gnome 2/MATE for a plain old, useable desktop. I don't need eyecandy either.
It's crazy, I used to think that Gnome 2 was perfect, but now MATE has come along and I'm seeing little things here and there that make the experience even better.
The-Wizard

Post by The-Wizard »

welcome to the Mint family forums

wizard
overthetop

Post by overthetop »

Welcome aboard! :P
jesica

Post by jesica »

:mrgreen:

Good day and welcome to Linux Mint,

Hope you will enjoy it as much as we do.
Orbmiser

Post by Orbmiser »

Welcome to the Mint Family and enjoy :P

Return to “Introduce Yourself”