Greetings from the Lowlands

Welcome to newcomers! Don't hesitate to introduce yourself.
Forum rules
Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
buja

Greetings from the Lowlands

Post by buja »

I have been using Linux Mint (13 Maya) for a couple of months now and so far it's ok.Everything I need is there and works without any problems. I switched from Ubuntu because I didn't like the Unity interface and updates for my version stopped. Mint 13 should last for a couple of years.

What I like about Linux Mint is that is works right out of the box, including WiFi, full screen resolution, media support, etc. I write this on a Dell D430 laptop which also has Debian 6 on it. It took me some effort to get things working on Debian, but I managed.
My desktop computer is a HP that runs on Mint 13 as well (and still has Ubuntu on it). Yesterday I somehow destroyed the monitor setting on the HP, I lost the frequency and the screen went mad. By restarting and logging in as another user I could repair the broken file with the user monitor settings and now it works fine again.

Although Linux gives me a better feeling I can't get completely free from Windows. Apart from iTunes I also have Garmin Mapsource to control my satnav equipment. I once had Mapsource working under Ubuntu & Wine, but I could not connect to the satnav through the USB port. I will try again soon with Mint, tips are welcome.

By the way, the Lowlands means the Netherlands, or Holland, of course. I live 3 metres below sealevel, but I don't worry about wet feet.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Greetings from the Lowlands

Post by xenopeek »

Welcome aboard buja! Sounds like a challenge ahead with Wine, but good to read everything else worked for you out-of-the-box.
Holland is a region in the western part of the Netherlands. The term Holland is also frequently used as a pars pro toto to refer to the whole of the Netherlands. This usage is generally accepted but disliked by part of the Dutch population, especially in the other parts of the Netherlands.
Yeah, if you could stop calling our country Holland, that'd be great... :wink:
The-Wizard

Post by The-Wizard »

Welcome to the mint family forums

Wizard

[I am Kentish by birth, British by treaty,European by convention, and by the grace of god and St George English] :lol:
overthetop

Post by overthetop »

Welcome aboard buja! :P
jesica

Post by jesica »

:mrgreen:

Good day and welcome to Linux Mint,

Hope you will enjoy it as much as we do.
nomko

Post by nomko »

xenopeek wrote:Yeah, if you could stop calling our country Holland, that'd be great... :wink:
Holland, The Dutch, The Netherlands, Lowlands..... Voor niet-kaaskoppen :mrgreen: is het allemaal hetzelfde Vincent!
Alhoewel.... De Amerikanen hebben toch zeer vreemd de halsstarrige gedachte dat iemand die Dutch praat per definitie uit Duitsland komt!!! Hoe vaak het niet gebeurd in films als er een Nederlander in voorkomt dat ie standaard (gebrekkig) Duits praat.

Dutch <=> Duits...... klinkt haast hetzelfde......

En met Lowlands wordt, geografisch gezien, ook België bij gerekend :wink:
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

To clear up any confusion about "Holland vs the Netherlands", watch this fun and informative video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eE_IUPInEuc. Stick with the first 2 minutes; you may think you know everything but after those first 2 minutes it gets really interesting :D
nomko

Post by nomko »

xenopeek wrote:To clear up any confusion about "Holland vs the Netherlands", watch this fun and informative video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eE_IUPInEuc. Stick with the first 2 minutes; you may think you know everything but after those first 2 minutes it gets really interesting :D
This the reason why we, people from Groningen (northern part of The Netherlands) always say:

Een Groninger wordt nooit een Hollander en een Hollander wordt nooit een Groninger!

Translated:
A Groninger will never become a Dutchman and a Dutchman will never become Groninger! :mrgreen:
grizzler

Post by grizzler »

xenopeek wrote:To clear up any confusion about "Holland vs the Netherlands", watch this fun and informative video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eE_IUPInEuc. Stick with the first 2 minutes; you may think you know everything but after those first 2 minutes it gets really interesting :D
Nice. Pity about the 'cow', though. I guess native English speakers and diacritical marks are never a good combination... :wink:
nomko

Post by nomko »

Another fact:
The Dutch language is, due to it's complicated grammar compared to other languages, one of the most difficult languages in the world.

But now, back on business, back to Linux Mint :wink:

Return to “Introduce Yourself”