Just starting with Linux

Welcome to newcomers! Don't hesitate to introduce yourself.
Forum rules
Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
MacCruiskeen

Just starting with Linux

Post by MacCruiskeen »

Hi--

Another new Linux user here. I've been primarily a Mac user since the early 90s, but lately have been unhappy with the direction Apple is going in--more and more towards completely closed appliances--not just the software but the hardware as well. I've been thinking about buying a laptop for some of my work, and the new macbooks are not enticing. So I've been thinking about a linux-based laptop instead. So right now I've got Linux Mint 13 w/KDE installed on my iMac with Virtualbox. This seemed like a good way to learn the system before investing in new hardware. I work in publishing and a lot of my work now is becoming more and more xml-based. I've been trying to pick up a little Python and Java since it seems a lot of the tools I use now are written in those languages (the last time I did anything resembling actual programming was in Fortran on a Vax 11/780). Anyway, I'm glad that forums like this exist, because I've been discovering that a lot of the documentation out there is inadequate. This helps fill in some of the blanks.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
The-Wizard

Re: Just starting with Linux

Post by The-Wizard »

Welcome to the Mint family forums

wizard
sammiev

Post by sammiev »

Welcome to the Mint forums. I was never big on VM but many here are. I guess I have too many toys to play with. :)
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

Welcome aboard :D Sounds like a plan!
Catbuntu

Post by Catbuntu »

Welcome to the forums! Hope you have a nice time here, and you can use Mint on your real hardware soon! :)
jesica

Post by jesica »

:mrgreen:

Good day and welcome to Linux Mint,

Hope you will enjoy it as much as we do.

Return to “Introduce Yourself”