Salutations from Vancouver Island

Welcome to newcomers! Don't hesitate to introduce yourself.

Salutations from Vancouver Island

Postby drewdlekins on Fri Jul 12, 2013 11:57 pm

Hi everyone. I'm relatively new to the Mint scene, not as new to Linux as a whole. I'd run various flavours of Ubuntu going back to 2008, until the introduction of Unity, which I didn't care for much and didn't run well on my laptop. I spent some time hopping between Xubuntu, the radical Mint 12, CrunchBang, Debian, and then tried various flavours of Mint 14 again.

Now that I've begun to settle after two years of hopping around with my hair on fire, I figured I'd become more of a regular around here. I signed up for this account awhile back, but never used it much.

The thing I absolutely love about Mint the most is the choice we're given. We're talking about Debian levels of choice when it comes to desktop environments offered out-of-the-box, but with the better bits of Ubuntu underneath. Of course with that choice comes difficulty for a Gemini who can't make up his mind. Eventually I settled on MATE; not because it's better than Cinnamon, though. I think Cinnamon is brilliant; it's what Gnome Shell should have been. I use MATE because I like the Gnome 2 workflow, and because my five-year-old laptop flies with it. My partner has a brand new Acer she's using the XFCE variant on.

So, without keeping you any longer, HI! And thanks.
~ Drewdlekins ~

Dell Inspiron 1525 - C2D T7300, 3Gb - Mint 16 RC Cinnamon x86
Acer V3 - i5 3210M, 8Gb - Mint 15 XFCE x64
drewdlekins
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Salutations from Vancouver Island

Postby The-Wizard on Sat Jul 13, 2013 1:58 am

welcome to the forums,

wizard
asus M2N-MX board, AMD x2 6000 amd/ati graphics 4x1mb ddr2, 21" HD screen Mint 16-64 cinnamon
Acer ZG5 -peppermint dell 1545 mint 16-64

"I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that i don't know the answer " [Douglas Adams]
The-Wizard
Level 8
Level 8

Return to Introduce yourself