Goodbye Ballmer & Gates

Welcome to newcomers! Don't hesitate to introduce yourself.

Goodbye Ballmer & Gates

Postby rocky_racoon on Sun Sep 08, 2013 4:27 pm

Hi
I finally hit the format button on my win H8 after trying Mint for a couple of weeks. I have found
replacements for 99% of windows software. Bit of a tricky install with Mint but now it's flying.

Glad to be amongst people with 'Real' OS's.
rocky_racoon
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Goodbye Ballmer & Gates

Postby tdockery97 on Sun Sep 08, 2013 4:41 pm

Welcome rocky_racoon.

HP Pavilion 17 Notebook, 8GB DDR3, 2.5GHZ A10-APU, Radeon HD 8650G
Registered Linux User #520972
tdockery97
Level 13
Level 13

Postby Crewp on Sun Sep 08, 2013 4:58 pm

Welcome to Linux Mint and the forums :D
Crewp
Level 4
Level 4

Postby The-Wizard on Sun Sep 08, 2013 5:06 pm

Welcome to the Mint family forums

wizard
asus M2N-MX board, AMD x2 6000 amd/ati graphics 4x1mb ddr2, 21" HD screen Mint 16-64 cinnamon
Acer ZG5 -peppermint dell 1545 mint 16-64

"I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that i don't know the answer " [Douglas Adams]
The-Wizard
Level 8
Level 8

Postby RavenLX on Sun Sep 08, 2013 5:09 pm

Congratulations and welcome to the world of Pure Linux! :) I've found this forum here quite helpful in getting questions answered when I came across stumbling blocks, so to speak. Which wasn't often!

I made the switch back in January of this year and never once even thought of going back! I too found all the software I need and what I still wasn't quite ready to part with yet I was able to get running in WINE. If you want to give that a try for the other 1% of the software you didn't find replacements for, I have a PlayOnLinux (uses WINE and is quite easy to set up) on my site here: http://cgi.bytebin.net/linux/administra ... nlinux.php

I think after a few months though, you'll find 100% of what you need that runs natively in Linux and will be quite happy. :) I found for example that GIMP is much nicer than Paint Shop Pro once I learned how to use it and got a bunch of plugins and scripts installed. Also check out YouTube videos to learn how to use some of the software. That can be extremely helpful.

BTW, We all know Gates is out but I read recently that Ballmer is leaving MS too! Oh well, looks like some consumers are leaving Windows for Android and Linux. I think mobile phones helped that some as well as for Desktop users, Linux Mint helped the rest of it. Now we do have a choice. I think we both made the right one. :)
RavenLX
Level 2
Level 2

Postby jesica on Tue Sep 10, 2013 12:20 am

Good day and welcome to the form. :mrgreen:
jesica
Level 8
Level 8

Return to Introduce yourself