Australia says Hi and Thanks...

Welcome to newcomers! Don't hesitate to introduce yourself.

Australia says Hi and Thanks...

Postby web-keeper-666 on Wed Sep 25, 2013 7:15 pm

Hi all.

Firstly let me say how happy I am to have taken the opportunity to try this version of "Mint Linux", and how pleasantly surprised I am at everything about it.

It has its quirks, (but what doesn't), but I am learning my way with them which is not a big deal, just a small learning adjustment, but let me say how "Very Well Worth It & Fun", this adjustment is going to be and will continue to be, as long as this level of quality and support continues.

So before I continue, let me say a "Very Big Thank You", to all involved, and the "Mint Community", in general for an outstanding achievement and a "Very Well Polished" product.

I personally run a CentOS v6 (64bit), main server, with Win Vista, Win7, Win2003/2008 Server, & ClearOS, Vbox VM's, and have become comfortable with quite a few different types, but the Ubuntu/Debian versions until now I have found not really suitable for what I was doing at the those times.

I personally for a long time was using PCLinuxOS (Gnome), for myself and my kids laptops, and as they stopped releasing the "Gnome" versions, I started to look around for something of similar style as a replaement as our Linux for our laptops.

As you can appreciate it was primarily for my kids, (who might I add are currently 14, 12 & 6), and have been exposed to PCLinuxOS for about 2 years or so now. Its because of these dedicated open source communities, that my children have excelled in IT, to the point they have , Apple iPads, Android Tab2's and Android based mobiles.

And yes even my 6 year old has her own Tab2, and she can navigate my network, and server shared folders as good as the older two.

They are still mainly very Windows and Mac orientated from their schools, but love the freedom and the luxury of what the open source communities have offered them. Even in something as simple as their ability to do things that they thought was either to expensive, to difficult or just not available with the other OS's (you the ones I'm talking about..!).

So I have been trying this version of "Mint 13 - Mate", (only because it a LTS), and as I myself want things to just work, and the fact I don't like disrupting the kids with constant laptop OS changes, and the threat of that flavour going extinct overnight.

So I gladly have to say this , "Linux Mint 13 - Mate", (who said 13 was unlucky), will be there replacement Linux OS for there laptops, until something better, (which I think will be hard to match), comes along.

As an IT Professional, I will be promoting "Mint Linux 13" to all for now as a good and stable replacement desktop when I am asked for my opinion.

Once again, I thank you all, (including the community involved), more as a "Very Grateful Parent", that can continue to offer my children the ability to expand their knowledge by allowing them to explore and enjoy alternatives to the two common mainstream OS's and applications. :D

Keep up the great work. :wink:
Last edited by web-keeper-666 on Thu Sep 26, 2013 9:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
--- Web-keeper-666 ---

Where Imagination Truly
Becomes An Affordable Reality...
--------------------------------------------------
web-keeper-666
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Australia says Hi and Thanks...

Postby daveinuk on Wed Sep 25, 2013 7:28 pm

Great post, glad to hear you're having a good time enjoying mint and the family are too - very encouraging - I wonder how they view the differences/ease of use between systems...
I spent 30 minutes the other night trying to find drivers (for XP) for a PCI express card I installed as my dvd drive decided to pack in, gave up frustrated, booted into mint, it just worked :lol:

I've distro-hopped a lot, can't, and don't want to replace mint, it's head and shoulders above the rest for my needs, welcome to the boards :)
Lenovo ThinkPad T61 LM16-64 bit Intel T7500/2.2GHz/Cinammon 1.8 Intel GM965. Toshiba Satellite M70: LM16-32bit. Desktop:LM13 Maya 64 bit, on new Intel 3.2ghz proc/asus MB/8gb RAM
daveinuk
Level 5
Level 5

Postby Crewp on Wed Sep 25, 2013 7:51 pm

Welcome to Linux Mint, and the Mint forums :D
Crewp
Level 5
Level 5

Postby Habitual on Wed Sep 25, 2013 10:51 pm

Hello Down ɹǝpun
What's a landing but a take off in reverse?
My DorkBlog
Habitual
Level 8
Level 8

Postby The-Wizard on Thu Sep 26, 2013 2:50 am

G'day and Welcome to the Mint family forums

wizard
asus M2N-MX board, AMD x2 6000 amd/ati graphics 4x1mb ddr2, 21" HD screen Mint 17-64 cinnamon
Acer ZG5 -peppermint dell 1545 mint 17-64

"I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that i don't know the answer " [Douglas Adams]
The-Wizard
Level 8
Level 8

Postby jesica on Mon Sep 30, 2013 12:04 am

Welcome to Linux Mint Forums :mrgreen:

My Linux Counter number # 566377
Mate
IT Ninja
Happy apt-get-ing!
Linux Mint Donar # 2159

Security is the separation of an asset from a threat.
jesica
Level 9
Level 9

Return to Introduce yourself