G'day from Melbourne

Welcome to newcomers! Don't hesitate to introduce yourself.

G'day from Melbourne

Postby dupr on Fri Oct 04, 2013 7:39 pm

Hello everyone,

My name is Alec. I'm a software developer based in Melbourne, where I live with my family of 4.

When I'm not developing for 99designs, I enjoy reading physics, astronomy and history, gardening with my wife, and thinking about cosmology and how lucky we are to have a spinning iron core under our feet.

I've got a few years experience developing Cocoa applications, and a few more developing high-traffic web applications. My biggest accomplishment, though: I made *the best* Hypercard RPGs as a kid. For example: "Superguy Fighter". There were almost 100 ways to die, but only one way to win...

I am inspired by Linux. I love that it provides an interface to the astronauts on the ISS. I love that CERN runs OpenStack. The best things in science and exploration all run Linux: it is the wondrous multi-tool that has propelled us into the age of Global Information... for better or worse. It supports all the most cutting-edge endeavors of humans and you can even run it on your mobile phone! :)

I recently bought a MintBox Pro which should be arriving soon. My plan is use that as my primary workstation at home, in tandem with another box that runs OpenStack for provisioning stuff for various home experiments. In fact, I've recently forked Horizon and am planning on building out a new interface for it using a framework we built at 99. Should be fun.

In terms of computer stuff, I am most interested in cloud architecture. I like to imagine what a research vessel like the U.S.S Enterprise would need: a giant, private cloud of enormous power with an amazing protocol stack. Though at the moment I feel like a lowly application developer, that's the sort of thing I *really* want to work on.

I look forward to getting to know everyone. Long live open software!

Oh and I love heavy metal. I can't believe I forgot to mention that.
dupr
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: G'day from Melbourne

Postby The-Wizard on Sat Oct 05, 2013 1:38 am

G'day from sunny Kirkira [corfu]

welcome to the mint family forums

wizard
asus M2N-MX board, AMD x2 6000 amd/ati graphics 4x1mb ddr2, 21" HD screen Mint 16-64 cinnamon
Acer ZG5 -peppermint dell 1545 mint 16-64

"I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that i don't know the answer " [Douglas Adams]
The-Wizard
Level 8
Level 8

Postby Crewp on Sat Oct 05, 2013 7:35 am

Alec, welcome to Linux Mint, and the Mint forums. :D
Crewp
Level 4
Level 4

Postby Pierre on Sat Oct 05, 2013 8:10 am

G'day from Perth. :)