New to Linux desktop, not un*x

Welcome to newcomers! Don't hesitate to introduce yourself.
Forum rules
Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Magister

New to Linux desktop, not un*x

Post by Magister »

Hi gentlemen,

I am an old guy, 43, but in a previous life I was sysadmin for big commercial unix like HPUX, IRIX, AIX, SunOS/Solaris, even SCO, it was command line 99% of the time, my X window was mainly for having multiple shells. I played with Linux and kernel 0.99 was my first install, on floppy, I installed also X. In the time we had Motif and mwm. After that I was a software designer mainly in embedded linux and some RTOS like QNX or MQX, coding in C, low level applications, still are.

All this to say that I know unix well in some aspect, but know about nothing in Linux as a desktop. I installed Mint 15 to play with, re-installed it a couple of time to properly define my partitions, now I use Mint16/Cinnamon. Pretty impressed with it. Everything works on my old netbook (atom/ION, 3GB RAM), I configured some stuff, nvidia proprietary driver, truecrypt, etc did some config for suspend that was not working.

I still have to dig some stuff here and there, but all in all I will stay with Linux as a desktop! My main activity on the netbook was cross compile for AVR8, design schematic/PCB with Eagle CAD and Office ; there is native Linux version for all of this so I do not need Windows anymore :)

:)
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
wanderer7

Re: New to Linux desktop, not un*x

Post by wanderer7 »

Welcome to Linux Mint, Magister. :D
The-Wizard

Post by The-Wizard »

old....OLD..... I can't even remember being 43!!!

Welcome to the Mint family forums

wizard
Crewp

Post by Crewp »

Welcome to Linux Mint :D
jesica

Post by jesica »

Greetings from the Mint family :P

Return to “Introduce Yourself”