Hello

Welcome to newcomers! Don't hesitate to introduce yourself.
Forum rules
Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
CutRightSharpening

Hello

Post by CutRightSharpening »

Ok,, Just a one person business and not a lot of IT budget.

Had a couple of Win XP machines (a Dell Dimension E310 and an MSI Wind u100) that wouldn't upgrade well to Win 7 and I see nothing good in Win 8.

Got a Win 7 64 bit Gateway LT3120u net/notebook. It refuses to run some older applications I use for business.

So I went looking for a way to extend the life of those otherwise good XP machines and found Mint 15 Cinnamon. It loaded right in on both XP's and needed no tweaking. Almost never turn the Gateway on any more.

Tried to do Linux 16 64 bit on the Gateway but it results in major video display problems. I do not feel comfortable playing around in the terminal.

I would like to end up with a net/notebook (the MSI has power button and charging plug issues) running Mint but I cannot find any kind of aggregated list of older XP notebooks that Mint does a direct install without needing any piddling and fiddling.

Does such a list exist?

Admin: Edited for content
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
The-Wizard

Re: Hello

Post by The-Wizard »

welcome to the Mint family forums

wizard

I dont know of an aggregated list as such, but most problems can be sorted fairly easy, EG. just done a dell insperon the wireless card would not work, so i opened additional drivers and after a short while it told me it needed a broadcom driver, so whilst the page was opened i connected by ethernet then clicked add drivers, it downloaded the correct drivers in a few seconds and now is spot on.

wiz
Crewp

Post by Crewp »

Welcome to Linux Mint :D
CutRightSharpening

The-Wizard wrote:welcome to the Mint family forums

wizard
so whilst the page was opened i connected by ethernet then clicked add drivers, it downloaded the correct drivers in a few seconds and now is spot on.

wiz

Humnn,, Not going to be an option for me. Whatever I do is going to have to connect via wifi on the first try as my only internet service is via a Verizon MIFI and it has no connection ports.

What little I have found seems to indicate that most Dell machines will boot right into Mint 12 or newer and as soon as the first update is run, everything will run just fine. The Dell I did needed a new USB wifi but I needed to get a new one anyway since the one I had was 6-7 years old.
jesica

Post by jesica »

Greetings from the Mint family :P
CutRightSharpening

Found this.

http://www.linux-laptop.net/
CutRightSharpening wrote:Davi Wayne-Disney
Ok,, Just a one person business and not a lot of IT budget.

Had a couple of Win XP machines (a Dell Dimension E310 and an MSI Wind u100) that wouldn't upgrade well to Win 7 and I see nothing good in Win 8.

Got a Win 7 64 bit Gateway LT3120u net/notebook. It refuses to run some older applications I use for business.

Does such a list exist?

Return to “Introduce Yourself”