Moving to Mint in the Office!

Welcome to newcomers! Don't hesitate to introduce yourself.

Moving to Mint in the Office!

Postby mr3do75 on Fri Feb 14, 2014 2:54 pm

Hello everyone,

I'm a pastor in a small church and running a one-person office where I can't spend tons on computer power. I went for a test-drive with Xubuntu and Mint, and here I am. If anybody has any suggestions on how to make Mint an office powerhouse, let me know. Great to be here with you all!

Bob
mr3do75
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Moving to Mint in the Office!

Postby Neil Edmond on Fri Feb 14, 2014 3:01 pm

Hello Bob,

Welcome to the Mint club! I don't have any further suggestions, but seems to me Mint is an office powerhouse right out-of-the-box. Is there anything special that you need to do that Mint seems weak in?
Neil Edmond
Level 3
Level 3

Postby The-Wizard on Fri Feb 14, 2014 3:02 pm

welcome to the mint family forums

wizard
asus M2N-MX board, AMD x2 6000 amd/ati graphics 4x1mb ddr2, 21" HD screen Mint 16-64 cinnamon
Acer ZG5 -peppermint dell 1545 mint 16-64

"I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that i don't know the answer " [Douglas Adams]
The-Wizard
Level 8
Level 8

Postby Crewp on Fri Feb 14, 2014 3:33 pm

Welcome to Linux Mint, and GBU pastor. :D
Crewp
Level 5
Level 5

Postby mr3do75 on Fri Feb 14, 2014 8:54 pm

Hi Neil,

I've been very happy so far with Mint's out-of-the-box power. I suppose what I'm looking for is an equivalent of Outlook for Windows, where I could have one program handling my schedule, email, and contact information. I'm using KOrganizer and Thunderbird right now, and they perform admirably, but I didn't know if there was another option out there. Even if there's not, I couldn't complain. The Mint community has a big fan. :D

Bob
mr3do75
Level 1
Level 1

Postby BlackVeils on Sat Feb 15, 2014 5:16 am

evolution or zimbra desktop, i dont know if the latter is free or not.
me = objective, discerning, reasonable, private, honest, forthright, considerate, introspective, circumspect, misanthropic, loyal, philosophical...
BlackVeils
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Pierre on Sat Feb 15, 2014 8:18 am

Bob,
Outlook is a 'combo 'type application.

- Thunderbird would replace the eMail part.
- KOrganizer is the diary part of it.

that setup, would be a reasonable, direct replacement, for Outlook.

there usually, is no outright replacement for most M$ products.
so, you have to go to the nearest compromise software.

also look at this site:
http://whdb.com/blog/2008/the-top-50-pr ... ernatives/
Pierre
Level 6
Level 6

Postby Bolle1961 on Sat Feb 15, 2014 8:29 am

Pierre wrote:- Thunderbird would replace the eMail part.
- KOrganizer is the diary part of it.

Thunderbird = mail, contacts and calendar ( with lightning plugin), works great with all desktops
Korganizer is for the KDE desktop
Evolution, comes closest to Outlook, works best with Gnome desktop
Bolle1961
Level 3
Level 3

Postby daveinuk on Sat Feb 15, 2014 9:36 am

Although I don't use it I've heard good reports about seamonkey as an all in one package,

http://www.seamonkey-project.org/

After using outlook myself for years when I switched to thundrbird I never looked back, haven't found anything in years I'd prefer . . . . . . If it's not broke, sometimes it's a good thing not to fix it. :wink:
Lenovo ThinkPad T61 LM16-64 bit Intel T7500/2.2GHz/Cinammon 1.8 Intel GM965. Toshiba Satellite M70: LM16-32bit. Desktop:LM13 Maya 64 bit, on new Intel 3.2ghz proc/asus MB/8gb RAM
daveinuk
Level 5
Level 5

Postby mike acker on Sat Feb 15, 2014 10:32 am

one of the key issues I run into helping people to use a Linux system instead of Windows is Office Compatibility. I suggest downloading and installing LibreOffice 4.2. This is the latest version and you may get better compatibility for files in .docx or .xlsx format -- with msft/office users

the real key here is: try to use .pdf when you send out documents rather than the editor formats -- .xlsx and .docx .the LibreOffic e has a built-in SEND PDF option that will convert a document to PDF and link it to an e/mail message. this eliminates the need of saving a copy of the document in .pdf format

this should work perfect unless the other person needs to edit something in which case you need to test with that person to see if you can share documents.

in terms of the "Basic Office Setuup" with a Linux System you have

Libreoffice,-- including documments, spreadsheets, powerpoint ...
Firefox or Chrome -- as web browser
Thunderbird for e/mail, calendar, and contacts. (Install Lightning Calendar plug in )

Be sure to browser through the built-in software library -- I have found programs to do the things I like to do, -- music, photography, website, ...
Home assembled box using ASUS M5A88-M motherboard and AMD Phenom II X4 3.4GHz cpu
mike acker
Level 4
Level 4

Postby mr3do75 on Sat Feb 15, 2014 8:46 pm

Hi everyone,

Thanks for the suggestions! I'm going to give Zimbra and Evolution a look to see if either fits my needs better than Thunderbird and KOrganizer. For word processing and spreadsheets I've been using LibreOffice 4.2 and I'm very happy with it. Sometime soon I'd like to learn some of the basics of the terminal to start to get a feel for how this all works under the hood. I appreciate all the input - thanks for the warm welcome!

Bob
mr3do75
Level 1
Level 1

Postby timapple on Sat Feb 15, 2014 9:10 pm

Very cool to hear about your office convert. I might suggest you use google apps for mail and calendar. That way your not tied to the computer at work to check mail and schedule. If you really want to use a desktop app you can also. And still have the convienance of going to the web whenever you want to check things when not around.

Tim
timapple
Level 1
Level 1

Postby jesica on Wed Feb 19, 2014 1:21 am

Greetings from the Mint family :P

My Linux Counter number # 566377
Mate
IT Ninja
Happy apt-get-ing!
Linux Mint Donar # 2159

Security is the separation of an asset from a threat.
jesica
Level 9
Level 9

Postby vrkalak on Wed Feb 19, 2014 4:00 am

Welcome to LinuxMint :mrgreen:

Read everything you can -- Forums - Wiki - IRC

Linux Tricks of the Trade > viewtopic.php?f=60&t=38355
What works for Ubuntu, usually works for Mint > http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/

Remember, all OS-Distro, Apps, DE/WM are Open-Source and have a Help-Forum
:: LinuxMint-Debian-Edition (Fluxbox) :: Manjaro/Arch (Xfce) ::
Registered Linux User: #497031 :: DeviantART Page
vrkalak
Level 10
Level 10

Postby mike acker on Wed Feb 19, 2014 7:47 am

timapple wrote:Very cool to hear about your office convert. I might suggest you use google apps for mail and calendar. That way your not tied to the computer at work to check mail and schedule. If you really want to use a desktop app you can also. And still have the convienance of going to the web whenever you want to check things when not around.

Tim

I would suggest using THUNDERBIRD for mail and calendar. Thunderbird is native to MINT and you can use it with an independent net service. I use and recommend CoreComm Services. by their policy they do not monitor your activity. use an IMAP mail service and you can access your mail from anyplace using a web base mail browser

I have LibreOffice 4.2 installed here; it seems to be more compatible w/ MSFT office. Generally if you are going to send documents use .pdf format if possible. LibreOffice will allow you to export to pdf and link into e/mail automatically without saving the .pdf and then going after it with your e/mail which is a very nice feature.

you only need to sent .docx or .xlsx if the other party want to edit the document

let us know how all this goes. my brother's company tried this but the boss balked "because it was different". they could have succeeeded and saved a lot of money and had a better system .
Home assembled box using ASUS M5A88-M motherboard and AMD Phenom II X4 3.4GHz cpu
mike acker
Level 4
Level 4

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Introduce yourself