New to Mint - Refreshing

Welcome to newcomers! Don't hesitate to introduce yourself.

New to Mint - Refreshing

Postby blastmaster on Sun Jul 27, 2014 2:38 pm

Hello All,

I am in my mid 50's and after an engineering degree I went into professional programming in the 1980's (a hobby that I loved so much when I was single). Since then I moved on into different roles so I have not programmed for 20+ years and will undoubtedly get very lost in today's complex environments!

I decided to try out Mint 17 after getting fed-up of WIndows 7 that become very slow on my home PC (even after a complete clean-up) and for being frequently requested to update supplier software. Itwas also time for a new PC. Windows 8 was a no for me and the new MAC Mini was taking a long time to materialize. I was already familiar with the Open Source applications ( Libre Office, Thunderbird, VLC, GIMP etc) so moving to Linux seemed worth trying.

My new PC (Gigabtye Brix Pro i5) with SSD and 1Tb drive is working really well with Mint. I am amazed at the speed I can do things and I am very pleased with the 'lean and efficient' Mint 17 environment. The user interface is really better than I had imagined. Starting with a dual disk was perhaps not the best way to start but I managed to get it configured as I wanted after some reading and a few tries.

One of my 2 printers ( HP Photosmart) was up and working in minutes however I am still struggling with a new Samsung Laserjet ( Xpress M26775FN). I have tried all the 4 (M267x M287x series) drivers suggested, and printing a printer driven test page results in the printer printing a page with the statement ' If you can read this you are using the wrong driver'! I hate to admit it but it works with Window as the Windows driver was supplied on a CD with the printer - so this is not a fair comparison. I downloaded a Linux driver on the Samsung site but cannot find how to get Mint to use it - newbie here I'm afraid.

I currently only miss itunes as I have my music collection there. I will probably keep my old portable PC for synchronizing with my Apple ipod/ &iPad though I am open to try wine later on. I am happy I have made the move and I am looking forward to continue to explore and learn.

Well done to all those who contributed in making the Mint environment what it is today - quite refreshing!
blastmaster
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: New to Mint - Refreshing

Postby The-Wizard on Sun Jul 27, 2014 3:56 pm

Welcome to the Mint family forums

wizard
asus M2N-MX board, AMD x2 6000 amd/ati graphics 4x1mb ddr2, 21" HD screen Mint 17-64 cinnamon
Acer ZG5 -peppermint dell 1545 mint 17-64

"I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that i don't know the answer " [Douglas Adams]
The-Wizard
Level 8
Level 8

Postby Crewp on Sun Jul 27, 2014 4:52 pm

Welcome to Linux Mint. :D
Crewp
Level 5
Level 5

Postby vrkalak on Tue Jul 29, 2014 2:15 pm

:mrgreen: ..:: Welcome to LinuxMint ::.. :mrgreen:

Read everything you can -- Forums - Wiki - IRC

Linux: Tricks of the Trade > viewtopic.php?f=60&t=38355
What works for Ubuntu, usually works for Mint > http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/
Linux Alternative to Windows > http://www.linuxalt.com/
LinuxMint Community Forums - Tutorials > http://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/welcome

** Remember, all OS-Distro, Apps, DE/WM are Open-Source and have a Help-Forum
:: LinuxMint-Debian-Edition (Fluxbox) :: Manjaro/Arch (Xfce) ::
Registered Linux User: #497031 :: DeviantART Page
vrkalak
Level 10
Level 10

Postby jesica on Wed Aug 13, 2014 7:58 am

Welcome to the forum :mrgreen:

My Linux Counter number # 566377
Mate
IT Ninja
Happy apt-get-ing!
Linux Mint Donar # 2159

Security is the separation of an asset from a threat.
jesica
Level 9
Level 9

Postby jahid on Wed Aug 13, 2014 10:00 am

Welcome to the Mint family........ :mrgreen:
jahid@HP ProBook 440 G1 Laptop
jahid
Level 5
Level 5

Postby apemanx on Fri Aug 15, 2014 2:51 am

Hello!

Hope you enjoy it as much as I do here!
Breaking and fixing is learning! This knowledge gained gives power. And power gives you freedom if used with wisdom!
apemanx
Level 2
Level 2

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Introduce yourself