Puppy user trying out mint

Welcome to newcomers! Don't hesitate to introduce yourself.
Forum rules
Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Delmar

Puppy user trying out mint

Post by Delmar »

Hi my name is Delmar. I have been playing with puppy linux for a few months now. Using it to breath new life into older Windows XP machines. I finally decided to try out somthing with a little more horsepower so a friend of mine put linux on a thumb drive fro me to try out. Here goes!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
dawgdoc

Re: Puppy user trying out mint

Post by dawgdoc »

Welcome to LinuxMint Delmar.

If you are test running the Cinnamon or Mate version of Mint and find it a bit slow on your hardware there are a few things to keep in mind. Either will run faster from the computer's harddrive than it does from a CD/DVD or USB flash drive. The xFCE version of Mint is somewhat easier on resources than the Cinnamon and Mate versions.
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Post by jimallyn »

Welcome aboard, Delmar!
“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
Delmar

Post by Delmar »

dawgdoc wrote:Welcome to LinuxMint Delmar.

If you are test running the Cinnamon or Mate version of Mint and find it a bit slow on your hardware there are a few things to keep in mind. Either will run faster from the computer's harddrive than it does from a CD/DVD or USB flash drive. The xFCE version of Mint is somewhat easier on resources than the Cinnamon and Mate versions.
I think he said it is mint 17 and I did install it on the hard drive. I'm going to have a lot of poking around on the forum to do because I tried to install the chrome browser And I cant make that work so far. Also I have a swap partition on the hard drive that I need to get mint to recognize.
Delmar

Post by Delmar »

I am hoping. to get the bugs worked out before my wife needs to use it.
- I am trying really hard to convince her we can be a Windows free household.
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

Hi Delmar,

Puppy is a very useful O/S indeed, & we have several copies of the various releases that Barry wrote for it.
- he lives not far from here.

but you will find that Mint is indeed a heavier O/S than the lightweight puppies are.

as noted by @dawgdoc, if the hardware is not quite able to get there, then install the XFCE Desktop Environment.
restart, & switch to that, - before you log_in.

- do read the Mint Users Guide that came with your install.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
The-Wizard

Post by The-Wizard »

Welcome to the Mint family forums,

puppy is very light quite fast on minimum spec machines, Mint being a much more comprehensive system will run slower [although still faster than XP] I currently run Mint 17 XFCE on an old acer aspire ZG5, previously I ran Peppermint, until i did a rebuild and added extra ram.

wizard
CupidsHelper

Post by CupidsHelper »

Welcome to the Linux Mint Forums. :) As others have stated, depending on your hardware specs, Linux Mint 17 Xfce is a very good choice. Light on resources and snappy in function.
Crewp

Post by Crewp »

Welcome to Mint.
vrkalak

Post by vrkalak »

:mrgreen: ..:: Welcome to LinuxMint ::.. :mrgreen:

Read everything you can -- Forums - Wiki - IRC

Linux: Tricks of the Trade > http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=38355
"All Linux OS-Distros" Forums and Tutorials > http://linuxquestions.org/questions/
What works for Ubuntu, usually works for Mint > https://help.ubuntu.com/community/CommunityHelpWiki
Linux Alternative to Windows > http://www.linuxalt.com/
LinuxMint Community Forums - Tutorials > http://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/welcome

** Remember, all OS-Distro, Apps, DE/WM are Open-Source and have a Help-Forum
Petro Dawg

Post by Petro Dawg »

Delmar wrote:I think he said it is mint 17 and I did install it on the hard drive. I'm going to have a lot of poking around on the forum to do because I tried to install the chrome browser And I cant make that work so far. Also I have a swap partition on the hard drive that I need to get mint to recognize.
For older XP era machines I found Linux Mint 17 XFCE 32 Bit runs great. However I also have the standard Cinnamon version installed on an XP era computer with a decent graphics chip. You should probably download and install the version best suited for your computer rather than relying on a version a friend gave you which may be too much for an older computer.

Due to your swap partition issue, I assume you didn't let Mint do an automatic install. You'll probably need to edit your /etc/fstab file, but you should probably create a new thread specific to that problem so we can walk you through all the steps required to fix it. Same goes for the chrome browser issue; it seems like a simple fix, but it may take some time isolating the exact problem you are having.

Return to “Introduce Yourself”