Been trying to get Linux on my PC for 8 years.

Welcome to newcomers! Don't hesitate to introduce yourself.

Been trying to get Linux on my PC for 8 years.

Postby kentboylinux on Fri Jul 02, 2010 6:01 am

Hi my names Ian, i think Linux is bril, only taken me 8 years to get on my PC.
I have Mint 9, wow its better then any thing from windcrap and Ubuntu 10.04 thats so cool also.
I still use Windcrap to play my blurays when linux gets round to having software that you can play bluray i will never need to use 7 as much as i do now.
User avatar
kentboylinux
Level 1
Level 1
 
Posts: 20
Joined: Tue Jun 29, 2010 5:40 am

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.
 

Re: Been trying to get Linux on my PC for 8 years.

Postby tinca on Fri Jul 02, 2010 6:04 am

kentboylinux,

you do not get any brownie points by referring to "Windows" as "Wincrap". It is extremely childish.

Best regards Keith
Case Antec 900 | Motherboard Abit ip35 Pro | CPU Q6600 (GO) | PSU Zippy P5L-6720P | Graphic Card XFX 7300 GS | Cooler Corsair T50 water cooled cpu | Ram 2x1GB sticks | Monitor Samsung Syncmaster 323t
tinca
Level 4
Level 4
 
Posts: 319
Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2009 9:23 am
Location: England U.K.

Re: Been trying to get Linux on my PC for 8 years.

Postby Oscar799 on Fri Jul 02, 2010 6:09 am

Hello kentboylinux,
Welcome to Mint :P
Seems it was worth the wait
There is a lot of useful information here on Mint Forum,and on our community site http://community.linuxmint.com/ which has a lot of tutorials,software reviews,a hardware database and ideas for future developments.
We also have IRC channels: open MintMenu>Internet>XChat and you will be connected automatically to #linuxmint-help and #linuxmint-chat
Have fun with Mint
Image
"Don't fix it if it ain't broken,don't break it if you can't fix it" Husse
Registered Linux User #511789
User avatar
Oscar799
Level 18
Level 18
 
Posts: 8825
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:21 am
Location: United Kingdom

Re: Been trying to get Linux on my PC for 8 years.

Postby kentboylinux on Fri Jul 02, 2010 6:26 am

tinca wrote:kentboylinux,

you do not get any brownie points by referring to "Windows" as "Wincrap". It is extremely childish.

Best regards Keith




Sorry I'm not here to upset people, Windows 7 is not bad should not moan.
Ian
User avatar
kentboylinux
Level 1
Level 1
 
Posts: 20
Joined: Tue Jun 29, 2010 5:40 am

Re: Been trying to get Linux on my PC for 8 years.

Postby kentboylinux on Fri Jul 02, 2010 6:30 am

oscar799 wrote:Hello kentboylinux,
Welcome to Mint :P
Seems it was worth the wait
There is a lot of useful information here on Mint Forum,and on our community site http://community.linuxmint.com/ which has a lot of tutorials,software reviews,a hardware database and ideas for future developments.
We also have IRC channels: open MintMenu>Internet>XChat and you will be connected automatically to #linuxmint-help and #linuxmint-chat
Have fun with Mint



Many thanks will do that, 8 years was worth the wait Mint 9 is so good every thing worked, every thing i needed with out buying software to run apps.
I'm reading up as much i can about linux and buy linux format which has helped me.
Ian
User avatar
kentboylinux
Level 1
Level 1
 
Posts: 20
Joined: Tue Jun 29, 2010 5:40 am

Re: Been trying to get Linux on my PC for 8 years.

Postby markcynt on Fri Jul 02, 2010 9:54 am

tinca wrote:kentboylinux,

you do not get any brownie points by referring to "Windows" as "Wincrap". It is extremely childish.

Best regards Keith


I'll give you one. :mrgreen:
Image]
Image
P5N-E SLI, Core2Duo E6850 3GHZ X 2
2 GB DDR2 800MHZ
EVGA 8800GTS 320MB
2x320GB Hitachi
Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro
User avatar
markcynt
Level 6
Level 6
 
Posts: 1131
Joined: Sun May 17, 2009 10:53 am
Location: Lakeland Florida

Re: Been trying to get Linux on my PC for 8 years.

Postby kentboylinux on Sat Jul 03, 2010 1:27 pm

markcynt wrote:
tinca wrote:kentboylinux,

you do not get any brownie points by referring to "Windows" as "Wincrap". It is extremely childish.

Best regards Keith


I'll give you one. :mrgreen:
Image]



Lol that's a big brownie, do people hate windows?
User avatar
kentboylinux
Level 1
Level 1
 
Posts: 20
Joined: Tue Jun 29, 2010 5:40 am

Re: Been trying to get Linux on my PC for 8 years.

Postby vincent on Sat Jul 03, 2010 6:12 pm

Nah, I don't hate Windows, I just dislike it's mostly closed-source nature...and the fact that you have to pay for it . :P
Debian Testing x64/LM9 Main x64/Windows 7 x64 - LG R580 laptop w/ Intel Core 2 Duo T6500 2.1 GHz, 4 GB DDR2 RAM, Nvidia Geforce G 105M, Ralink rt2860 802.11n, 300 GB WD HD 5400 rpm
vincent
Level 8
Level 8
 
Posts: 2220
Joined: Tue Feb 09, 2010 4:10 am

Re: Been trying to get Linux on my PC for 8 years.

Postby kentboylinux on Sun Jul 04, 2010 3:50 pm

vincent wrote:Nah, I don't hate Windows, I just dislike it's mostly closed-source nature...and the fact that you have to pay for it . :P



Well that's why they rule the world, bit like Starbucks and McDonald's lol
User avatar
kentboylinux
Level 1
Level 1
 
Posts: 20
Joined: Tue Jun 29, 2010 5:40 am

Re: Been trying to get Linux on my PC for 8 years.

Postby DrHu on Sun Jul 04, 2010 9:35 pm

kentboylinux wrote:I still use Windcrap to play my blurays when linux gets round to having software that you can play bluray i will never need to use 7 as much as i do now.

when linux gets round to having software that you can play bluray...
Surely people, even those that really depend on the windows OS, have options as well..
I don't know, is it that much of a problem, since may people might already have the Xbox or the Sony Playstation that could play a blu-ray disk, or possibly a regular blue-ray video player or the combo blu-ray +DVD..
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Restr ... ayAndHDDVD
User avatar
DrHu
Level 16
Level 16
 
Posts: 6694
Joined: Wed Jun 17, 2009 8:20 pm

Re: Been trying to get Linux on my PC for 8 years.

Postby kentboylinux on Mon Jul 05, 2010 8:07 pm

DrHu wrote:
kentboylinux wrote:I still use Windcrap to play my blurays when linux gets round to having software that you can play bluray i will never need to use 7 as much as i do now.

when linux gets round to having software that you can play bluray...
Surely people, even those that really depend on the windows OS, have options as well..
I don't know, is it that much of a problem, since may people might already have the Xbox or the Sony Playstation that could play a blu-ray disk, or possibly a regular blue-ray video player or the combo blu-ray +DVD..
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Restr ... ayAndHDDVD



It is for me as I'm not a gamer and i built a pc with bluray and paid out for 26" Samsung HD monitor, got to make the max use of it.
User avatar
kentboylinux
Level 1
Level 1
 
Posts: 20
Joined: Tue Jun 29, 2010 5:40 am

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.
 

Return to Introduce yourself

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest