This stuff sure ain't Windows (saints be praised!)

Welcome to newcomers! Don't hesitate to introduce yourself.
Forum rules
Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
disastrophe

This stuff sure ain't Windows (saints be praised!)

Post by disastrophe »

Hello everybody. My name is Anton, I am a noob :mrgreen: and I'm very happy to be here. I have recently made a clean break with m$ after many long years of cleaning up their messes. Not sure why it took me so long, especially considering how dramatically my annoyance level has decreased since making the switch. I've been using a couple of different distros for about two months now. I tried openSuSe for a bit but it seemed too beta-ish, especially for a noob such as myself. I tried Kubuntu for a couple of weeks but it had a couple of annoyances I didn't care for. I am currently using Isadora, Xubuntu and Ubuntu Gnome in a multi boot configuration. Ultimately I want to end up with one Gnome, one Xfce and one KDE partition. I just added Isadora yesterday, got it all settled in now and I am very impressed. All networking and multimedia has worked flawlessly once the appropriate packages were installed, it took much less work than even Ubuntu(which wasn't bad at all) to get things happy. No probs with full screen 3D stuff either. It seems to have all the strengths of Ubuntu and more - elegant is a good word to describe Mint.
I got all the Compiz eye candy going, Emerald window decorations, 3D cylinder, AWN, etc. Not a single prob, it's freaking gorgeous, runs very light, stable and fast, fast, fast.
The boot time could be SLIGHTLY improved but I haven't had grub do a profile yet so the jury is still out on that, I wanted to make sure all the drivers I'll be using and so forth are in place first. That's a minor issue anyway since I usually don't reboot very often anyway.
The install was a thing of beauty as well, it took less time for the full DVD install than a Windows vista system restore. I can see me settling into Mint as my distro of choice. I'll definitely try the KDE version as soon as it's final. -it might end up inheriting my Ubuntu Gnome partition.
The development team can apparently walk on water. I am thankful they are using their great powers for good!
Thank you for all your hard work.
Regards and respect!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
grimdestripador
Level 6
Level 6

Re: This stuff sure ain't Windows (saints be praised!)

Post by grimdestripador »

A good review. :P
dawgdoc

Post by dawgdoc »

Welcome Anton,

Man, you do jump in with both feet.
Oscar799
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Oscar799 »

Hello Anton,
Welcome to Mint Forum :P
You'll find lots of useful information here and on the community site http://forums.linuxmint.com/index.php
We also have IRC channels,open MintMenu>Internet>XChat and you will be connected automatically to #linuxmint-help and #linuxmint-chat
Have fun with Mint

Return to “Introduce Yourself”