Welcome to newcomers! Don't hesitate to introduce yourself.
Forum rules
Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Polaris

Post by Polaris »

Hi, I am from Brisbane, Australia and just love Linux Mint. I have used/tried a couple of distros but Mint KDE has me hooked!! Had some dramas loading on to an Asus A6KM laptop as I did when I loaded Ubuntu at one stage. Had to get a mate to do the 'acpi=off' thing which I did not understand and it now boots OK. Only problem is cannot get wlan to recognise modem...says it is not ready..have another older desktop with Mint on as well and it 'found' wireless in 2 seconds flat...so any help gratefully accepted. Really glad to be here...apparently some Asus motherboards dislike Linux!!m
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
dawgdoc

Re: Newbie

Post by dawgdoc »

Welcome Polaris,

If no one responds to the question re: the wlan modem in a reasonable time I would suggest posting in EITHER the wireless or newbie sections. Some people will not realize there might be questions about connection issues in the Introduce Yourself board.

The type information needed includes: is it a plug in USB modem or built in, whether you are using version 8 or 9RC of Mint KDE, have you enabled proprietary wireless drivers, if you verified that wireless networking was enabled in network manager, output from

Code: Select all

lspci

Code: Select all

inxi -N
If you have a network cable plugged into your lan port, unplug it and try the wireless again.

If you want to post back here that is OK, but I have no experience with KDE nor USB wireless adapters and the problems which come with them. [If you have an on/off switch, it is on, right? :) ]

Return to “Introduce Yourself”