Greetings from another n00b

Welcome to newcomers! Don't hesitate to introduce yourself.
Forum rules
Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
maxheadway

Greetings from another n00b

Post by maxheadway »

Earlier this year, I tried Linux Mint 8, and had weird things happen, such as programs not appearing in the window list when I minimised them. So I used Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala for a few months. As it turns out, this was most likely to be a problem with my hard drive - especially since it has a dodgy sector - not the software! I guess the HD didn't copy everything correctly when I was installing Mint.

More recently, I ended up mongrelising my Ubuntu OS, eventually trashing it in my attempts to remove a particular desktop environment, after much DE hopping. Since then, I've learned two things: 1. To work around my hard drive's problem by installing another distro I don't really need on sda1, setting up Mint with a dual-boot setup; and 2. To be much more cautious about what I cut and paste into the terminal, and why. (Not so much a danger of malicious code as of choosing inappropriate commands for the task at hand. No good fooling yourself that you're more clued-up than you really are.)

So here I am with Mint 9, still impressed at how user-friendly it is. Perfect for those of us coming across from Windows (or using Mint alongside). The aesthetics don't hurt, either (unlike Ubuntu 10.04 Lurid... er, I mean Lucid Lynx). What can I say? It just works... it's there in the background, functioning well as a means to an end.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14

Re: Greetings from another n00b

Post by tdockery97 »

Ahhhh, the freshness of Mint. Welcome back. If you ever have that problem with your windows behavior again, just right-click the panel and select "add to panel", then select window list. They will show up on the panel again. Have fun with Mint.

Tom
Mint Cinnamon 20.1
Oscar799
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Oscar799 »

Hello maxheadway,
Welcome to Mint Forum :P
There is a lot of useful information for new and not-so-new users here -> http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 58#p302358
We have a Community site http://community.linuxmint.com/
For real-time help there are IRC channels,open MintMenu>Internet>XChat and you will be automatically connected to #linuxmint-help and #linuxmint-chat
Have fun with Mint
jesica

Post by jesica »

Mint friendly welcome, just shout for some help :mrgreen:

Return to “Introduce Yourself”